- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
Syriac Christianity is one of the best-kept secrets of the Christian tradition, one more often than not ignored in curricula and textbooks. Recently, however, given the political developments in Syria, this particular branch of Christianity has become highly relevant. This course gives you a rare opportunity to study the complex interrelationship between tradition, identity formation and interpretation, and past and present within a fascinating faith community.
In this unique course, experts from VU University Amsterdam and guest lecturers provide you with a comprehensive introduction to key aspects of Syriac Christianity. These include its origins, its complex theological relationships with emerging Islam and with Western and Eastern Christianity, and difficult existence in today’s Syria. Interaction with the Syriac community in the Netherlands offers you the chance to experience Syriac Christianity as a living religion.
- You will gain a broad understanding of the most significant characteristics of Syriac Christianity, its history and theology. - You will learn about the relationships between Syriac Christianity and other forms of Christianity and Islam. - You will understand the complex interaction between continuity and transformation in the process of identity-formation in the case of Syriac Christianity.
- Setting Description:
- With over 180 unique nationalities, Amsterdam is a melting pot of cultures and embraces different cultures, religions, and lifestyles. 165 canals criss-cross the entire city, giving it its nickname ‘Venice of the North.’ The city also features more bikes than inhabitants! With a bustling creative industry, Amsterdam offers plenty of cultural activities and events throughout the year. In Amsterdam you can benefit from the advantages of a big city with enough quiet spots to kick back and relax.
- €1000 (excluding housing €400-500 per course) Included in the tuition fee are: • Airport pick-up service • Orientation programme • Course excursions • On-site support • 24/7 emergency assistance • Transcript of records after completion of the course
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- The VU Amsterdam Summer School offers ten scholarships that cover the full tuition and housing fees of one course. Information about how to apply for the scholarship will be posted on the VU Amsterdam Summer School website.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program