- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
After two outstanding Paralympic Games, London 2012 and Rio 2016, the standard of adaptive sports is improving faster than ever before. These days, young people with physical disabilities have their own heroes to look up to as they dream of the 2028 games. But even though sports and exercise provision for wheelchair users has never been better, there is still a long way to go. This course is for those aspiring to join the next generation of professionals in this rewarding field.
For wheelchair users as much as anyone else, exercise and sport are important components of an active, healthy lifestyle. Building upon a strong theoretical examination of the subject’s physiological, biomechanical and psychosocial aspects, this interactive course explores the practical issues they face at all levels. From exercise during rehabilitation and sport for health and fitness all the way to elite, Paralympic-standard performance. It also includes actual exercise testing of wheelchair athletes and interactive seminars with wheelchair users. As well as experts from VU Amsterdam and other academic institutions, your tutors include top practitioners from the Centre for Adapted Sports Amsterdam at leading rehabilitation centre Reade.
- You can interact with wheelchair users and with professionals and researchers in the field of rehabilitation and adaptive sports.
- You can discuss the physiological and psychosocial consequences of a serious physical disability (e.g. spinal cord injury, amputation), and their impactupon exercise and sporting performance.
- You can discuss barriers, motivators and facilitators of physical activity and sports participation in wheelchair users with spinal cord injury or a lower-limb amputation.
- You can promote and discuss the importance of sports and exercise as part of an active healthy lifestyle for wheelchair users.
- You can conduct and interpret an exercise test specific to wheelchair users.
- €1150 (not including housing) Included in the tuition fee are: • Airport pick-up service • Orientation programme • Course excursions • On-site support • 24/7 emergency assistance • Transcript of records after completion of the course
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- The VU Amsterdam Summer School offers ten scholarships that cover the full tuition and housing fees of one course. Information about how to apply for the scholarship will be posted on the VU Amsterdam Summer School website.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program