- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
From molecules to brain, cells to behaviour, this interactive course provides you with a comprehensive insight into various aspects of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and VWM (Vanishing White Matter). It addresses both clinical aspects (etiology, pathology, genetics, diagnostics, and treatment) and methodologies for the study of brain diseases (cell and animal models, microscopy, physiology and electrophysiology, behaviour), with expert lecturers presenting their applied and fundamental research work.
The course is organized by the Centre for Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research (CNCR), one of the centres of expertise at the Neuroscience Campus Amsterdam. Its staff are leaders in their specific fields, renowned for the use of state-of-the-art techniques. Highlights include visits to several of the state-of-the-art laboratories at the Neuroscience Campus Amsterdam, including the electron microscopy, confocal, and life cell imaging and animal and behavioural facilities.
- You gain a basic knowledge of neurodegenerative diseases, the “foundation”. - You gain an in-depth knowledge of specific research approaches and methods to address various aspects of neurodegenerative diseases, the “toolbox”. - You form an overview of current limits and future needs, the “perspective“. - You integrate this information to propose new ideas and hypotheses for neurodegenerative diagnostics and therapy, the “potential”.
- Setting Description:
- With over 180 unique nationalities, Amsterdam is a melting pot of cultures and embraces different cultures, religions, and lifestyles. 165 canals criss-cross the entire city, giving it its nickname ‘Venice of the North.’ The city also features more bikes than inhabitants! With a bustling creative industry, Amsterdam offers plenty of cultural activities and events throughout the year. In Amsterdam you can benefit from the advantages of a big city with enough quiet spots to kick back and relax.
- 1150 EUR. The tuition fee includes: • Airport pick-up service • Welcome goodie bag • Orientation programme • Course excursions • On-site support • Emergency assistance • Transcript of records after completion of the course
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- The VU Amsterdam Summer School offers ten scholarships that cover the full tuition and housing fees of one course. Information about how to apply for the scholarship will be posted on the VU Amsterdam Summer School website.
Based on 1 Reviews
- review about amsterdam summer school07/12/16
I had an amazing time at Summer School at the VU Amsterdam! Amsterdam is a beautiful city, there is so much to see, to experience and to enjoy. I also liked the social programms the summer school offered us, for example a citiy walk with a guide or a
visit to some of the museums of Amsterdam. I participated in the course "neurodegenerative diseases" and liked it al lot, because the professors were very motivated and always open for questions. I gained new knowledge about the human brain and how neurodegeneration works exactly. Moreover, I am more confident in my english now. :)read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend