- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
In a globalizing world, health challenges are also transcending national boundaries and becoming more complex. To face them, there needs to be a two-way flow of resources, expertise, and know-how between developed and developing countries, involving stakeholders from different scientific disciplines. Only a combined learning processes of this kind has the potential to generate effective, innovative solutions to global health issues and to create equitable health systems around the world.
This course provides you with in-depth insights into the growing complexity of the burden of disease, particularly in low and middle-income countries, as well as the main challenges surrounding infectious and non-communicable conditions and environmental, child and reproductive health. All in a global context. Featured excursions include a visit to an institution relevant to the topics addressed, such as the Royal Tropical Institute (KIT) or the Amsterdam Community Health Service (GGD).
- You gain a critical knowledge of local and global health issues; - You can take an interdisciplinary apporoach to health and disease-related problems around the world; - You possess the skills needed to collaborate with peers from different disciplines; - You know how to obtain reliable and critical data to develop a topic for discussion; - You possess the skills needed debate topics related to global health.
- Setting Description:
- With over 180 unique nationalities, Amsterdam is a melting pot of cultures and embraces different cultures, religions, and lifestyles. 165 canals criss-cross the entire city, giving it its nickname ‘Venice of the North.’ The city also features more bikes than inhabitants! With a bustling creative industry, Amsterdam offers plenty of cultural activities and events throughout the year. In Amsterdam you can benefit from the advantages of a big city with enough quiet spots to kick back and relax.
- 1000 EUR. The tuition fee includes: • Airport pick-up service • Welcome goodie bag • Orientation programme • Course excursions • On-site support • Emergency assistance • Transcript of records after completion of the course
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- The VU Amsterdam Summer School offers ten scholarships that cover the full tuition and housing fees of one course. Information about how to apply for the scholarship will be posted on the VU Amsterdam Summer School website.