- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
This course touches on the very core of modern self-understanding in "the West." Students question modernist Buddhist assumptions and even the received wisdom of current Buddhist Studies discourse, perhaps even fundamentally revising or reframing them. In doing so students explore some of the major Buddhist theories and doctrines and their global resonance and articulate the epistemic paradoxes of modernist concepts such as "consciousness" or "immediate experience" in Buddhism.
Explore psychological interpretations of Buddhism, which has become a prominent characteristic of global Buddhist modernism as well as the primary hermeneutical interface for its appreciation in global modernity.
- Understand the framing of Buddhism in psychological terms and its background, and also resonance, in modern Asia. - Become familiar with the complex relationships of psychological readings of Buddhism with their matrices in Buddhist modernisation movements in Asia and their reception history of Buddhism outside Asia. - Demonstrate the ability to navigate the problematic of first and third person approaches in academia.
- Setting Description:
- With over 180 unique nationalities, Amsterdam is a melting pot of cultures and embraces different cultures, religions, and lifestyles. 165 canals criss-cross the entire city, giving it its nickname ‘Venice of the North.’ The city also features more bikes than inhabitants! With a bustling creative industry, Amsterdam offers plenty of cultural activities and events throughout the year. In Amsterdam you can benefit from the advantages of a big city with enough quiet spots to kick back and relax.
- 1000 EUR. The tuition fee includes: • Airport pick-up service • Welcome goodie bag • Orientation programme • Course excursions • On-site support • Emergency assistance • Transcript of records after completion of the course
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- The VU Amsterdam Summer School offers ten scholarships that cover the full tuition and housing fees of one course. Information about how to apply for the scholarship will be posted on the VU Amsterdam Summer School website.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program