- Grand Rapids, United States
- Program Type:
- Full Degree
- Degree Level:
- Genetics & Genomics
- Program Description:
The Van Andel Institute Graduate School (VAIGS) offers a unique PhD progam in cell, molecular, and genetic biology of human disease housed within an independent biomedical research institute. The innovative problem-based curriculum leads students to a strong foundation in core concepts and experimental design by paralleling how scientists approach new research questions. Rotations in several laboratories expose students to different areas of research in preparation for choosing their own dissertation project. Seminars and workshops provide professional development on topics such as scientific writing, grant proposals, oral presentations, financial and personnel management, conflict resolution, lab leadership, and team-building. VAIGS supports the training of physician scientists through two programs; a dual degree (MD/PhD) in conjunction with Michigan State University or Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine, and a novel residency/PhD program in conjunction with the Internal Medicine residency in Grand Rapid, Michigan.
Students are supported through a generous stipend, tuition waiver, medical and dental insurance, laptop computer and $2000/year for travel to scientific conferences.
Additional Program Information
- VAIGS Is full accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association to confer our own PhD degree.
- Financial Aid:
- PhD Program: GPA of 3.0 on a 4 point scale in the core sciences; Three letters of recommendation; A personal resume (or curriculum vitae); A personal statement identifying why you have a passion for going research; A research paper or submitted article; GRE or MCAT in lieu of GRE scores; official transcript(s).
- International Requirements:
- VAIGS welcomes international applicants (those who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents). International applicants admitted to VAIGS will be sponsored in the J-1 Student (College and University) visa category; VAI is not currently designated to sponsor F-1 visas.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program