- Vienna, Austria
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Winter Semester
- Program Description:
The two week program combines first class academic courses with an extensive social and cultural program. Vienna’s rich cultural heritage, especially the museums, will lead to a thorough understanding of the input of the fin-de-siècle on the modernization of Europe. This unique program consists of high level lectures in the morning and guided excursions to the city of Vienna and to different museums in the afternoon. The academic course environment encourages intercultural and social exchange and favors mutual understanding within the international student population. Participants thus broaden their horizon, meet colleagues from different fields of study, make friends for life and build connections for their future professional careers.
•Enjoy Vienna's history and culture
•Explore the developments of society, psychology, fine arts, music, and literature in Vienna around 1900
•Study with renowned professors with international experience
•Develop a thorough understanding of the impact of the fin-de-siécle culture on the modernization of Europe
•Meet participants from all over the world
The winter program courses provide a well-structured introduction into one of the most fascinating periods of Austria's intellectual history in a short time. The culture of the fin-de-siècle is one of the highlights in the history of the Habsburg Monarchy. The international background of the participants offers the possibility to discuss the influence of developments in Vienna (e.g. the famous psychoanalyst Freud, painters like Klimt and Schiele, musicians like Mahler and Schönberg or philosophers like Wittgenstein) on different cultures in Europe and other continents. The program combines courses about the history, economy and society of the late Habsburg Monarchy, fine arts, psychology and literature, as well as music. All together a deep insight in society and culture of this fascinating period of modernization will be given.
- Setting Description:
- The univie: winter school for Cultural Historical studies takes place in Vienna, the capital of the former Habsburg Monarchy (and Austria of today) where traces of the outstanding culture of the late 19th and the beginning of the 20th century are still visible. Outside the framework of classes Vienna offers plenty of opportunities to explore additional museums and sights such as the St. Stephan’s Cathedral, the Imperial Palace, and the Treasury.
- 1,325 EUR. The program fees amount to € 1,325 and include registration, tuition, and all planned excursions. External students have to pay an additional fee of € 21.20 to be admitted to the University of Vienna as extraordinary students and to enjoy insurance coverage (general accident and liability insurance). All additional costs for accommodation and board, as well as travel arrangements are the responsibility of the participants.
Additional Program Information
- Applicants must have completed two years of studies at college or university level in their countries of residence or have an educational background equivalent to one year at a European university before the beginning of the program. Applicants must be in attendance for the whole period of the Winter School, be able to take part in the number of required courses, have an adequate command of the English language and be in good health. Applicants have to submit the following application material: 1. Application form 2. Statement of Purpose 3. Transcript of Record 4. English Proficiency 5. Two photos
- Scholarships Description:
- Participants who are students of the University or Vienna or its partner universities have the opportunity to receive a tuition waiver (scholarship) for the winter school.