- Austin, United States
- Program Type:
- Full Degree
- Degree Level:
- Graduate Certificate
- Education Leadership & Administration
- Program Description:
The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB) offers four courses leading to superintendent certification. Each 4-credit course includes a field-based experience/practicum component to ensure candidates have a thoroughly developed professional portfolio upon completion of the program. The program prepares candidates for superintendent certification in Texas, and courses are aligned with the SBEC (State Board for Educator Certification) Superintendent Competencies and national ELCC (Educational Leadership Constituent Council) leadership standards.
Program candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of a master's program;
- Successful completion of Principal/Mid-Management Certification;
- Employed by a public school district, or demonstrate access to a public school district.
The online courses will be highly interactive and will maximize opportunities for productive participation. Faculty who have superintendent and central office leadership experiences in districts of various size will teach the courses.
Among the instructional methods utilized for the online courses will include:
- Problem-based learning and action research projects;
- Professional portfolio development;
- Critiques of relevant research;
- Peer review of educational leadership resources;
- Integration of field experiences supervised by practicing Superintendents in collaboration with university professors.
Among the educational benefits will be:
- Preparation of quality superintendents who demonstrate mastery of learner-centered leadership standards endorsed by the major state and national accrediting agencies (i.e., SBEC and ELCC/NCATE);
- Effective preparation for passage of state Superintendent certification or licensure exams;
- Development of an online repository of effective and practical resources for superintendents.
- *EDLD 6462 District School Finance
- *EDLD 6464 Educational Change and Design of Facilities
- *EDLD 6473 Superintendency and the School Board
- *EDLD 6475 Education and Sociocultural Change
*Field-based experience required for all four courses. Field-based experiences serve as elements of a comprehensive, integrated practicum that will provide each superintendent candidate with a thoroughly developed professional portfolio.
PARTICIPATING INSTITUTION AND ADVISOR
UT Permian Basin
Dr. Jessica Garrett-Staib
Chair, Education Leadership and Counseling
Certificate Awarded: Superintendent Certificate
Additional Program Information
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- Financial Aid:
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program