- Geneva, Switzerland
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
International Law: June 26 - July 7, 2017 (2 weeks)
International Humanitarian Law: July 10 - 14, 2017 (1 week)
Click HERE for more details.
Geneva has long been one of the world’s capitals of international law. The presence of the United Nations, the World Trade Organization and many other international organizations and NGOs make it a buzzing place in the field. This breeding ground naturally led to the focus and strength of the University of Geneva in international law. This summer course provides one of the easiest ways to have access to that world.
This course is made for students who are intrigued by international law or marvel at its day-to-day interactions with international politics, affairs and business. This is the opportunity for such students to get a crash course to introduce them to this fast moving, intellectually thrilling and profoundly humane field of the law. The course is shaped so as to bring out the best of current issues in international law, while remaining accessible to non-specialists and seeking to broach the main principles of “International Law 101”, so as to allow enthusiasts to go further.
The 2017 programme comprises the following courses (subject to minor modifications and adjustments):
Weeks 1 and 2: Summer School in International Law
- Foundational courses:
- Sustainable development: 7h
- Non-state actors: 7h
- Politics of International Law: : 7h
- International dispute settlement: 7h
- Specific insights:
- International investment protection: a failed experiment?: 3h
- The challenge of climate change: 3h
- The South China Sea Dispute: 3h
- International law and diplomats: 3h
- International law and Gender: 3h
Week 3: additional module on International Humanitarian Law
- Course content:
- International Humanitarian Law today: 4h
- Refugee law: 4h
- Challenges of the International Criminal Court: 4h
- Terrorism: 4h
- Targeted killings: 4h
- International humanitarian law and human rights: 4h
Please note: Changes to the draft program may be made at any time prior to the start of the course.
At the end of this course, participants will have a general understanding of some of the cutting-edge issues in international law today. This will allow them to either orient their future studies or refresh and extend existing knowledge.
- Foundational courses:
- Starting from 1000 CHF. Early Bird deadline (March 1st, 2017): M1: International Law (weeks 1 and 2): 1,750 CHF M2: Additional module in Humanitarian Law alone (week 3 alone): 1,000 CHF M3: International Law with additional module in Humanitarian Law (weeks 1, 2 and 3): 2,200 CHF Final deadline (May 1st, 2017): M1: International Law (weeks 1 and 2): 2,000 CHF M2: Additional module in Humanitarian Law alone (week 3 alone): 1,200 CHF M3: International Law with module in Humanitarian Law (weeks 1, 2 and 3): 2,500 CHF
Additional Program Information
- Upper-year undergraduates, Master's degree students, Professionals. Course taught in English. Professionals can choose to take only specific parts of the program. For details on this possibility, please contact us.
- Scholarships Description:
- A limited number of partial or full tuition waivers are available. Please note that only financial reasons are valuable criteria for the waiver. Indicate your reasons in your motivation letter.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program