- Jerusalem, Israel
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer
- Program Description:
The Hebrew University's Rothberg International School (RIS) offers an in-depth program in Literary Arabic that is open to all students studying abroad at the graduate level, from beginning to advanced learners. Literary Arabic is not only the language of all Arabic-speaking countries, but it is the language of the Islamic religion, the Oral Tradition, law, and mysticism. In today’s political climate, Arabic skills are becoming more and more in demand, particularly in the fields of politics, media, and economics. All courses are taught in English and Arabic.
You can start at the beginning, intermediate, or advanced level. If you have a background in Arabic, you must take a placement exam during the week before the semester begins. Note that since Literary Arabic requires a deeper understanding of grammar, syntax, and vocabulary, students with a background in Modern Standard Arabic might be placed into the beginning level of Literary Arabic.
The beginning course starts in the Autumn Semester, intermediate in Spring, and advanced in Summer. If your placement test shows you have sufficient knowledge of Arabic, you will be permitted to omit the beginning course and join classes during the Spring or Summer Semester.
- Beginner Level: 12 weekly hours (Autumn Semester)
- Intermediate Level: 12 weekly hours (Spring Semester)
- Advanced Level: 8 weekly hours (Summer Semester)
- Setting Description:
- From the hilltop of the Mount Scopus campus, the incredible panorama of Jerusalem unfolds. Medieval maps show Jerusalem as the heart of the world. Astonishingly, it remains there: the seam line where West meets East, the First World faces the Third World, and where Judaism, Christianity, and Islam meet.
Additional Program Information
- Completed bachelor’s degree; proficiency in English.
- Scholarships Description:
- Visit our website.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program