- Jerusalem, Israel
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer
- Program Description:
Quickly advance your Arabic in our Arabic Immersion Program, where your nonstop learning experience will go beyond the classroom to include interactions with native speakers in your dormitory, on campus, and in the city. You’ll also gain exposure to religious and cultural elements that have helped shape the Arabic language. Jerusalem’s historical ties to Islam, its large Arab population, and the experienced faculty and services of Hebrew University’s Rothberg International School (RIS) make this program the ideal Arabic learning experience.
The program is based on the principle of total immersion – the constant and exclusive use of a language in its native social and cultural environment. Studies combine formal classes, interaction with native speakers outside the classroom and exposure to the religious and cultural elements that have left their indelible mark on the Arabic language.
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem is an ideal place for an Arabic immersion program. Arabic is one of Israel’s official languages and is spoken in many parts of the country. Jerusalem, holy to three monotheistic religions, is the site of some of the oldest and most sacred institutions of Islam. Almost a third of the city’s population speaks Arabic as its native tongue. The Hebrew University is home to many prestigious scholars of Arabic, Islam and the Middle East, and their research interests encompass historical as well as contemporary issues. RIS, with its faculty and student services, is the perfect venue for this new and exciting program.
- Setting Description:
- From the hilltop of the Mount Scopus campus, the incredible panorama of Jerusalem unfolds. Medieval maps show Jerusalem as the heart of the world. Astonishingly, it remains there: the seam line where West meets East, the First World faces the Third World, and where Judaism, Christianity, and Islam meet.
- Tuition: $18,600 USD. Please see our website for cost per semester.
Additional Program Information
- Students who have completed 28 college credits with a grade-point average of 3.0 and above (or the equivalent) are eligible to apply.
- Scholarships Description:
- See website for more information.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program