Students are trained for veterinarian schools, pharmaceutical/biotechnology companies, research and educational organizations.
- Norfolk, United States
- Program Type:
- Full Degree
- Degree Level:
- Zoology & Wildlife
- Program Description:
- The EVMS Laboratory Animal Science Master’s Program builds a solid foundation for a successful career in laboratory animal science. Its courses focus on all aspects of laboratory animal science and animal facility management. The practicum provides the student with the opportunity to apply the theoretical knowledge they have learned to the actual practice of laboratory animal science. The program can also improve the standing of those students who desire to advance their training in veterinary medicine for their application to veterinary school. This program will train the scientists who plan, conduct and evaluate animal experiments and animal facilities by providing them with a high quality basic science, clinical, statistical and ethics education that enables graduates to design effective experiments, while minimizing the number of required animals and adverse effects. Courses will draw upon EVMS’ broad, in-house expertise in laboratory animal science and will utilize the school’s state-of-the-art facilities. The program will be further enhanced by renowned guest lecturers, allowing participants to be taught both theory and technical skills by experts active at the forefront of this discipline. Students in the program earn an MS in Laboratory Animal Medicine in two years. Our objective is to provide the biomedical research community with skilled individuals in laboratory animal science who can fulfill needed positions in research and animal care facilities immediately upon graduation. With new and more restrictive animal protection guidelines, the scientific and research industries urgently need highly qualified personnel to lead and manage their laboratory animal research activities in a highly competent manner. Many exciting opportunities exist including those in academia, industry (biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies), and government. Laboratory animal medicine experts are involved in veterinary care, teaching, animal resource management, refinement of animal models, development of alternatives to animals in research, and independent research.
Additional Program Information
- Eastern Virginia Medical School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the Doctor of Medicine degree, Masters' degrees, Doctoral degrees, and Certificates. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Eastern Virginia Medical School.
- Financial Aid:
- Bachelor's or a graduate degree with a 2.75 GPA or higher from an accredited U.S.college or university or an international equivalent. Successful completion of two semesters each of college-level English, Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics. Minimum of 3 months or 500 hours of hands-on experiences. Applicants who desire a future as a Laboratory Animal technologist are strongly encouraged to have full time experience/employment during the 2 years of the program to be eligible for American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) LAT and LATG certification.
- International Requirements:
- Translation: If the academic institution that you attended does not issue documents in English, the credentialing agency will require that you submit a word-for-word translation of your transcripts. Transcript Evaluation: International students whose native language is not English may contact one of the following credentialing agencies to submit transcripts for OFFICIAL evaluation: World Education Services or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc TOEFL: International applicants whose native language is not English must take the TOEFL exam and receive a score as follows: Paper-based test: 550; Computer-based test: 213; iBT exam: 80. If you have previously taken the TOEFL but the two-year period has expired, the program will accept a personal copy if available.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program