- Glasgow, United Kingdom
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
One of the top three performing arts educational institutions in the world
The Glasgow Athenaeum opened its doors in 1847 “to provide a source of mental cultivation, moral improvement and delightful recreation to all classes,” and Charles Dickens was the inaugural speaker. That early institution, offering instruction in music, grew into the performing arts powerhouse known today as the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.
It’s ranked in the top three of performing arts educational institutions in the world, and offers a collaborative curriculum in music, drama, dance, production and film. The student body is small but diverse, and you are taught by specialized faculty, offering a personalized experience.
RCS’ faculty are practicing performing artists and many visiting artists are among them each year. You’ll learn from the best, and enjoy many interdisciplinary approaches to your chosen path. There are also opportunities to perform in the Conservatoire’s six performance venues, which host over 500 performances a year by students, staff and visiting international artists. RCS also maintains important collaborations with BBC Scotland, the National Theatre of Scotland, Scottish Ballet, Scottish Opera and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra.
State-of-the-art facilities, including rehearsal rooms, practice studios, workshops, design, dance, and recording studios are all available to you to hone your craft. This is a purpose-built arts institution with a focus on you as an emerging artist.
You’ll be spending about 26-32 hours per week in workshops pertaining to your chosen subject area, as well as taking part in performances. Application requires audition videos of quality performance-related material. For performing arts, a solid grounding in both classical and modern theater is required.
You’ll live, study and perform in the multicultural and vibrant city of Glasgow, enjoying its theatre district, museums, and sports and cultural amenities. Glasgow is student-friendly, easy to navigate, and full of places to explore.
Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Here is a sampling:
- Firbush Activity Weekend
- Luss Highland Games & The Hill House
- Golf Championship
- and more...
Arcadia is a nationally recognized leader in higher education, offering exceptional study, research and internship experiences for students from colleges and universities across the US. Our unique combination of customized, diverse academic programming and comprehensive support allows students to explore new worlds, get to know themselves, boost their resumes for future job opportunities and graduate school, and experience the incredible growth and shifts in perspective that a culturally immersive experience can deliver.
- Setting Description:
- Appropriately situated in Glasgow, which is home to many of the best art galleries and museum collections in the UK and serves as the base of many national companies, including the Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Scottish Opera, Scottish Ballet, the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra and The National Theatre of Scotland. Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Here is a sampling of Arcadia's Excursions - for a complete list, please visit our website. · Firbush Activity Weekend · Highlands · Luss Highland Games & Hill House · Rugby Match · Ceilidh Dance · and more...
- Visit our website to find out more about tuition costs and what's included when studying abroad with Arcadia
Additional Program Information
- 3.0 - Recommended 3.0 - For Consideration
- Scholarships Description:
- Every dollar helps! Check out our website for different funding sources for study abroad...
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program