- Vina Del Mar, Chile
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Located in the central valley of Costa Rica, San José is a vibrant urban center in the heart of a serene and beautiful nation. Three volcanoes surround the city, and quaint villages, farms and coffee plantations dot the hillsides. Though the metropolitan area is home to 36% of the nation’s population, one can easily explore the smaller central area of the city and discover its neighborhood markets and local restaurants. Cultural opportunities including theater, music, cinema and dance are also abundant in San José. Visit the Museo Nacional; the Museo de Oro Precolombino, with its sparkling collection of pre-Columbian gold; or the Museo de Jade, which boasts the world’s largest collection of jade.
The Business and Latin American Studies Program at the Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez is open to students at all Spanish levels. Students have the opportunity to complete Spanish language courses along with business, Chilean culture, and Latin American studies courses in English or Spanish. Students with an advanced level of Spanish are welcome to select integrated courses with Chilean students from the standard university course offerings. Courses are available in business administration, engineering, journalism and psychology, as well as other areas of liberal arts and the social sciences. Students who elect to complete courses with Chilean students will need to stay several extra weeks in Chile due to a more extensive exam period. During the orientation period on-site, all students complete a language placement test to determine their Spanish level. ACADEMIC AND CALENDAR YEAR STUDENTS The Chilean academic calendar follows the calendar year: the first semester in Chile is actually the equivalent of the spring semester in the U.S. Students who wish to study for two semesters in Chile are encouraged to consider the Calendar Year option (spring/fall) rather than the traditional Academic Year option (fall/spring). API students in either session will have a break between semesters during which API housing is not provided.
Pre-Departure Services: Advising, @api Online Resources, Orientation Materials and Support, Mobile Phone, Peer Mentors, Social Networking, Scholarships On-Site Services: Airport Reception, Resident Directors, API Center, Housing (including meals and laundry with host families), Tuition, Tutoring, Language and Culture Tools, Medical and Life Insurance, Excursions (overnight and international), Social and Cultural Activities, Welcome and Farewell Group Meals, Volunteer Opportunities Re-Entry Services: Re-Entry Materials and Support, Post-Program Evaluation, Transcript, Alumni Network and Development Opportunities
- Setting Description:
- The Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez is a private university that was founded in 1988, building upon the academic tradition started by the Escuela de Negocios de Valparaíso in 1953. Enrolling approximately 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students, it offers degrees in business, the liberal arts and humanities, engineering, law and the social sciences. The university offers courses designed for international students in both Spanish and English, as well as options to directly enroll in courses with local Chilean students. Students will enjoy the UAI campus in Viña del Mar with its extensive amenities and impressive modern architecture.
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.5 GPA. *Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors. *Open to students at all levels of Spanish; one semester of Spanish language highly recommended. *Completed API application with supplemental materials.
- Scholarships Description:
- API offers over $500,000 in scholarships annually. Please see website for more information.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program