- Valparaiso, Chile
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Founded in 1926 under the auspices and vision of the Chilean entrepreneur, Don Federico Santa María Carrera, the University was designed to provide opportunities for academically-gifted Chilean students to study science and technology, regardless of their social class. Today, the University is recognized as one of the best universities in Chile for science, engineering and technology. Visiting international students complete an intensive Spanish course prior to the start of the regular academic semester, during which they complete coursework in Spanish alongside their Chilean peers. Visiting students may study the humanities and social science with Chilean students or complete business, science and engineering courses with local students at more advanced levels.
The Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María main campus is comparable to a campus in the U.S. Academic, athletic and social buildings are all in the same area, so international students have a great deal of interaction with their Chilean counterparts. On a hill overlooking the city and shoreline, USM features both classical and modern architecture and is surrounded by grassy areas where students can relax and socialize. There are top-notch athletic facilities, including an outdoor pool, soccer fields and hiking trails.
The Integrated Studies Program at the Universidad Técnica Federico Santa Maria (UTFSM) offers students the opportunity to study abroad in Valparaíso and take courses at one of the most highly ranked universities in Chile. The university’s beautiful campus overlooks the Pacific Ocean and inspires local students to spend time studying outdoors.
All students will complete a 2-week intensive Spanish course prior to enrolling in courses alongside their Chilean peers. During the semester, students may select a combination of courses designed for visiting international students in Spanish or integrated courses with Chilean students. Some coursework may be available in English. In terms of the courses with Chileans, most students select courses in the social sciences and humanities. Students interested in science and engineering coursework may select any course for which they have completed the pre-requisite courses on their home campus. Interested students can take a semester-long Spanish course along with their other courses.
- Setting Description:
- Built upon dozens of steep hillsides overlooking the Pacific Ocean, Valparaíso boasts a labyrinth of streets and cobblestone alleyways, embodying a rich architectural and cultural legacy. Nicknamed “The Jewel of the Pacific”, Valparaíso was declared a UNESCO world heritage site based upon its improvised urban design and unique architecture. Founded in 1536, Valparaíso is not only one of Chile’s most important port cities, it is also its third largest city. Valparaíso remains a source of inspiration for artists of all types, including the well-known Chilean poet, Pablo Neruda. Students can visit Neruda’s seaside home in Valparaíso, as well as the Chilean Congress. Offering strikingly beautiful views from the top of its numerous hills, it is reminiscent of San Francisco. Valparaíso, or Valpo for short, is a city where students can amble away an afternoon exploring its steep and winding streets, peppered with colored houses and electric lines, and admire the sparkling Pacific Ocean below.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 2.5 G.P.A. Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Advanced and superior-level Spanish language level required.
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program