- Thimphu, Bhutan
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
API students who are want to study abroad in Thimphu, Bhutan will study at Royal Thimphu College (RTC), Bhutan’s first private college. RTC offers general degree programs under the auspices of the Royal University of Bhutan. Its objective is to contribute to educational excellence in Bhutan and to become an institute of international repute attracting outstanding students from Bhutan and abroad.
The RTC campus, covering an area of 25 acres in Ngabiphu, offers a secluded and peaceful natural environment for study. At the same time, it is only 15 – 20 minutes drive from the capital city, Thimphu, which offers sports, leisure and cultural attractions as well as the potential for student internships and field trips. RTC faculty staff hail from seven different countries.They come from Bhutan, India, USA, Canada, Netherlands, Australia and Bangladesh. Together they provide diverse and innovative teaching methods and offer students an international perspective on their studies. All of the lecturers are well qualified and dedicated to providing the best possible education for students.
API students who study abroad in Thimphu will be able to directly enroll with Bhutanese students and take courses as only a few fortunate westerners are able to do! Students will take 2-3 courses with Bhutanese students in a variety of subject areas, including international business, computer science, Dzongka (traditional Bhutanese language), environmental studies, sustainable development, and much more! Students will also participate in a for-credit, graded internship with a local or international government agency or NGO. This invaluable experience will allow students to not only learn about the policies of a developing nation, but to give back to the host community while earning credits at the same time!
- Setting Description:
- Thimphu is the capital city of the Kingdom of Bhutan, and is located in the western part of the country at around 2,300 meters (7,545 feet) above sea level. The city has a population around 100,000 people, including expats from India, Japan, Thailand, Europe, and the U.S. The fertile river valley in which Thimphu sits features many ancient monuments, fortresses, and temples, and is beginning to see some controlled and modern development as well. Indeed, sustainable development and environmental sustainability are very important concepts in Thimphu specifically, and Bhutan in general. Since Bhutan only opened up to the outside world in the past decade or so, it still retains a very authentic feel, with few, if any, western influences such as restaurants, stores, or brands. This affords students and visitors a unique opportunity to truly immerse themselves into a country and culture in a way that they’d be unlikely to do in a more traditional destination.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.5 G.P.A. *Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program