API students who study abroad in Thimphu will be able to directly enroll with Bhutanese students! API students will also participate in a for-credit internship with a local or international government agency or NGO.
- Thimphu, Bhutan
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
- API students who study abroad in Thimphu will be able to directly enroll with Bhutanese students and take courses as only a few fortunate westerners are able to do! Students will take 2-3 courses with Bhutanese students in a variety of subject areas, including international business, computer science, Dzongka (traditional Bhutanese language), environmental studies, sustainable development, and much more! Students will also participate in a for-credit internship with a local or international government agency or NGO. This invaluable experience will allow students to not only learn about the policies of a developing nation, but to give back to the host community while earning credits at the same time! Pre-Departure Services: Advising, @api Online Resources, Orientation Materials and Support, Mobile Phone, Peer Mentors, Social Networking, Scholarships On-Site Services: Airport Reception, Resident Directors and Staff, API Center, Housing (including meals and laundry with host families), Tuition, Tutoring, Language and Culture Tools, Medical and Life Insurance, Excursions (overnight and international), Social and Cultural Activities, Welcome and Farewell Group Meals, Volunteer Opportunities Re-Entry Services: Re-Entry Materials and Support, Post-Program Evaluation, Transcript, Alumni Network and Development Opportunities
- Setting Description:
- Thimphu is the capital city of the Kingdom of Bhutan, and is located in the western part of the country at around 2,300 meters (7,545 feet) above sea level. The city has a population around 100,000 people, including expats from India, Japan, Thailand, Europe, and the U.S. The fertile river valley in which Thimphu sits features many ancient monuments, fortresses, and temples, and is beginning to see some controlled and modern development as well. Indeed, sustainable development and environmental sustainability are very important concepts in Thimphu specifically, and Bhutan in general. Since Bhutan only opened up to the outside world in the past decade or so, it still retains a very authentic feel, with few, if any, western influences such as restaurants, stores, or brands. This affords students and visitors a unique opportunity to truly immerse themselves into a country and culture in a way that they’d be unlikely to do in a more traditional destination.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.75G.P.A. *Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program