- Taormina, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
API students in Taormina study at Babilonia – Center for Italian Language and Culture. Classes are held at “Casa Silva,” a nationally registered historic villa protected by the Sovrintendenza alle Belle Arti (the National Agency for the preservation of Art and Monuments). The villa is hidden from view by an impressive stone wall that separates it from the steps of Via Timoleone, which lead to the Greek Theater.
Babilonia is truly a cultural center, hosting book presentations, painting and sculpture exhibitions and concerts in the botanical gardens. In the net-café located in the WI-FI garden, students can enjoy leisure time under the lush green trees with classmates while sipping a cappuccino from the school’s cafeteria.
API students in Taormina attend courses at Babilonia – Center for Italian Language and Culture. Babilonia was recently voted the top Italian language school in Italy, and consistently ranks in the top 10 in the country in this regard. This program is open to students of all levels, and is intended to provide a true Italian language and culture immersion experience. This is a perfect program for the serious student who is looking for an off-the-beaten path study abroad experience! Students may choose to study for a short-term, intensive program of 2, 4, or 6 weeks during the summer term. The number of courses available to them depends on the length of the program. Students in a 2 week program choose 1 course; students in a 4 week program choose 2 courses; students in a 6 week program choose 3 courses; and students in a 12 week program choose 4 courses. Not all courses are available each session. Check the API website for the latest information.
- Setting Description:
- Taormina is a quaint medieval town perched on the summit of Mt. Tauro , in the northeast corner of the island of Sicily. Taormina’s amazing views of the turquoise Ionian Sea and Homer’s mythical Mount Etna have captivated artists, photographers and writers for centuries. The 2000+ year old Greek Theater, only steps from campus, hosts contemporary and classical concerts, opera, ballet, plays and events, as well as an International Film Fest in June ongoing since the 1950’s. Along the narrow medieval streets are architectural gifts from the many civilizations which ruled Sicily since its early Greek years, including a Roman amphitheater, Norman castle, Byzantine fountain and Arabic palace. Students also can enjoy the internationally renowned beaches of Taormina. The warm, clear Ionian Sea provides relaxation after class and weekend fun. The well-known Sicilian hospitality encourages students to participate in the social rhythm and allows for easy integration.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- *2.75 G.P.A. *Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors *Open to all levels of Italian speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $450,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.