- Taormina, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
API students in Taormina attend courses at Babilonia – Center for Italian Language and Culture. Babilonia was recently voted the top Italian language school in Italy, and consistently ranks in the top 10 in the country in this regard.
Classes are held at “Casa Silva,” a nationally registered historic villa protected by the Sovrintendenza alle Belle Arti (the National Agency for the preservation of Art and Monuments). The villa is hidden from view by an impressive stone wall that separates it from the steps of Via Timoleone, which lead to the Greek Theater.
Babilonia is truly a cultural center, hosting book presentations, painting and sculpture exhibitions and concerts in the botanical gardens. In the net-café located in the WI-FI garden, students can enjoy leisure time under the lush green trees with classmates while sipping a cappuccino from the school’s cafeteria.
This program is open to students of all levels, and is intended to provide a true Italian language and culture immersion experience. In addition to their coursework, students live with Sicilian families that are actively involved in school and city life. This is a perfect program for the serious student who is looking for an off-the-beaten path study abroad experience! Students complete 4 courses and receive 12 credit hours per semester session, or 3 credits per course. Students must take at least TWO Italian language courses per semester. Italian language courses are taught at all levels. API recommends that students obtain pre-approval from their home university for courses that they plan on taking abroad.
- Setting Description:
- Taormina is a quaint medieval town perched on the summit of Mt. Tauro , in the northeast corner of the island of Sicily. Taormina’s amazing views of the turquoise Ionian Sea and Homer’s mythical Mount Etna have captivated artists, photographers and writers for centuries. The 2000+ year old Greek Theater, only steps from campus, hosts contemporary and classical concerts, opera, ballet, plays and events, as well as an International Film Fest in June ongoing since the 1950’s. Along the narrow medieval streets are architectural gifts from the many civilizations which ruled Sicily since its early Greek years, including a Roman amphitheater, Norman castle, Byzantine fountain and Arabic palace. Students also can enjoy the internationally renowned beaches of Taormina. The warm, clear Ionian Sea provides relaxation after class and weekend fun. The well-known Sicilian hospitality encourages students to participate in the social rhythm and allows for easy integration.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *2.75 G.P.A. *Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors *Open to all levels of Italian speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Based on 1 Reviews
- An awesome experience01/10/18
I was lucky enough to spend three and a half months studying at Babilonia as a university student studying abroad. While I have Italian ancestry and family, I never learned the language. Hence, I chose Babilonia because I thought it would give me the
best chance to speak Italian. I was not disappointed! When I arrived in Sicily, I knew only a few Italian words (fettucine, pizza, grazie, etc.). Thanks to Babilonia, I can now have meaningful conversations with my Italian friends and family! Babilonia is a school completely based on immersion; the instructors and staff insist on speaking to you in Italian. This was intimidating at first, but it cultivated a learning environment where communication is valued and you are not judged if you make mistakes with the language. The students continue this environment, who also (while they might fluently speak another common language) always strive to speak Italian together during the many school-organized activities. This is unique among study abroad programs in Italy. Besides the kind and helpful staff and instructors, my host family was amazing. Donatella, Pippo, and Gabri had an amazing amount of patience with me as I learned the language, and always encouraged me to speak—or try to speak. I felt like I was a part of a real family, which made the adjustment seamless and energizing. Oh and the food was amazing as well . Thanks to Babilonia, I had some of the greatest experiences of my life and learned A LOT of Italian. The connections I made with my host family and new Italian friends will last a lifetime…sono contentissimo di aver scelto Babilonia! Grazie mille!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend