- Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
Students who choose to study abroad in Sharjah can experience an unfamiliar culture in a familiar setting with API at the American University of Sharjah (AUS). AUS was founded in 1997 and is consciously based upon the American system of higher education. The beautiful campus has been described by many as the “jewel of Sharjah” and is itself a must-see destination for tourists and dignitaries alike. Thoroughly grounded in Arab culture, AUS is a leading comprehensive coeducational university in the Gulf, serving students from the region and around the world.
AUS is accredited in the U.S. by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, and is licensed in the United States by the Department of Education of the State of Delaware. The university is also licensed by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, and all undergraduate and graduate programs have been awarded either full or initial accreditation. The Business Administration Program in the School of Business is AACSB accredited, the College of Architecture is NAAB accredited, and all six of the bachelor’s degree programs in the AUS College of Engineering are ABET accredited.
API students at the American University of Sharjah (AUS) choose from a range of undergraduate classes open to Emirati and international students. AUS awards credit in similar fashion to most U.S. universities. Students usually take 2 classes in order to receive 6 credit hours per semester, or 3 semester credits per course. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that they are enrolled in the required amount of semester credits to meet requirements of the home university. In all departments, entrance to specific courses is subject to the approval of AUS and the completion of certain prerequisites. Summer students are also offered the opportunity for an intensive Arabic language program, offered from the elementary to advanced levels.
- Setting Description:
- Sharjah is known as the “Cultural Capital of the UAE,” and has quite a lively history itself. Uniquely located on world trade routes and the only Emirate with direct access to both the Arabian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, Sharjah has developed from a small trading town, relying on fishing and pearl diving, to one of the most modern, dynamic commercial and trade centers in the region.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. *Open to sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program