- Shanghai, China
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Shanghai (Hu for short), is a renowned Chinese metropolis drawing an increasing amount of international attention, investment, and envy. Perched near the Yangtze River delta, the city serves as regional hub for economic development, finance, culture, and scientific research. More than many Chinese cities, Shanghai’s “recent” history as a colonial hub has heavily influenced its makeup – both architecturally and culturally. After the 1842 Treaty of Nanking, foreign powers (including the British, French, Americans, Germans, and Russians) all moved in and put their stamp on various neighborhoods and institutions. Shanghai thrived as a cosmopolitan center (dubbed the “Paris of the East”) during the 1920s and 1930s, and escaped much of the “cultural revolution” of the 1960s. In the early 1990s Shanghai was chosen to spearhead modern China’s economic and political expansion ambitions, and today it is considered to be one of the most “international” cities in the world.
This program offers immersive and intensive Chinese language instruction for students at all levels, from complete beginners to more advanced language learners. Students in this program will be immersed in Chinese language instruction for 18 weeks, and can expect to earn upwards to 20 semester credits for the standard Chinese language program (or up to nearly 30 semester credits if they elect to pursue the intensive Chinese option for an additional fee). The instruction stresses the equal importance of listening, speaking, reading, and writing Chinese, in order to lay a solid foundation for students learning. Classes are generally no larger than 20 student and meet up for 20 hours per week.
Pre-Departure Services: Advising, @api Online Resources, Orientation Materials and Support, Mobile Phone, Peer Mentors, Social Networking, Scholarships On-Site Services: Airport Reception, Resident Directors and Staff, API Center, Housing (including meals and laundry with host families), Tuition, Tutoring, Language and Culture Tools, Medical and Life Insurance, Excursions (overnight and international), Social and Cultural Activities, Welcome and Farewell Group Meals, Volunteer Opportunities Re-Entry Services: Re-Entry Materials and Support, Post-Program Evaluation, Transcript, Alumni Network and Development Opportunities
- Setting Description:
- East China Normal University (ECNU). ENCU – a nationally renowned university under the direct auspices of the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China, and one of the most prestigious universities in the country. Founded in 1951, it is nationally accredited by the Ministry of Education of the PRC and a member of the prestigious 211 and 985 projects. Boasting one of the most beautiful campuses in China, the university is reputed as the “garden university.” ENCU is a research university with an extensive range of disciplines including education, social sciences, humanities, natural sciences & technologies and administrative sciences. ENCU currently enrolls more than 30,000 students from all parts of China and abroad, of which more than 5,000 are international students.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.5 GPA *Open to 2nd-semester freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors. *Open to all levels of Mandarin speakers *Completed API application
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program