- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
Students choosing to study at the International Center for Development Studies (ICDS) complete their coursework in both English and Spanish with other American study abroad students on the campus of the Universidad Latina, Costa Rica’s largest private university. The campus is located northeast of downtown in an area of San José known as Lourdes de Montes de Oca. With its modern facilities, advanced equipment, and experienced and efficient staff, the Universidad Latina provides the perfect learning environment for the ICDS programs. Students have full access to all facilities at the Universidad Latina, including libraries, bookstores, coffee shops and a food court. Intimate class sizes provide students with ample opportunities to participate and explore areas of particular interest to them, and students who desire greater interaction with local students can seek friends from among the general Universidad Latina student population.
ICDS, in partnership with Costa Rica’s largest private hospital, the Hospital Clínica Bíblica, offers a six-week program for students who want to increase their knowledge of medical Spanish and the health field in Latin America. The program is designed to increase students’ language proficiency while giving them a broader understanding of the Costa Rican healthcare system. Students will complete two courses: “Healthcare Systems in Latin America” and “Spanish for Health Sciences.” The “Healthcare Systems” course is taught at the Hospital Clínica Biblíca, which has been serving patients for over seventy years.
To complement coursework, students will participate in two weekend field trips. Students also have the option of doing volunteer work in the local community if desired.
- Through the Clínica Bíblica, ICDS is able to offer students the option to observe rotations with local doctors. There will be limited spaces available, and students will observe the doctor’s rotations on Tuesday and Thursday mornings (so as to avoid time conflicts with coursework).
- The option has no credit attached to it. Interested students will be required to demonstrate an advanced level of Spanish proficiency.
- Setting Description:
- Located in the central valley of Costa Rica, San José is a vibrant urban center in the heart of a serene and beautiful nation. Three volcanoes surround the city, and quaint villages, farms and coffee plantations dot the hillsides. Though the metropolitan area is home to 36% of the nation’s population, one can easily explore the smaller central area of the city and discover its neighborhood markets and local restaurants. Cultural opportunities including theater, music, cinema and dance are also abundant in San José. Visit the Museo Nacional; the Museo de Oro Precolombino, with its sparkling collection of pre-Columbian gold; or the Museo de Jade, which boasts the world’s largest collection of jade.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. Open to juniors and seniors Open to intermediate and advanced-level Spanish speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.