- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
Founded in 1991, Universidad Veritas is a private university that prides itself on the development of non-linear critical thought and creativity. The university’s mission statement emphasizes the student’s active participation in the learning process; every student is expected to play the role of protagonist in his/her own academic development. Approximately 1,700 students attend the university in any given semester. Operating programs for international students since 1993, the Universidad Veritas offers an incredible amount of academic options. Students may select Spanish language courses from the beginning to advanced levels, complete a multitude of elective coursework in Spanish or English, or enroll in art, design and architecture courses with local Costa Rican students. Students also have full access to university amenities, including extracurricular activities such as dance classes, conversation partners, volunteer work and cooking lessons.
Standard Quarter Program:
- Students will complete a 4-week intensive Spanish course, along with one or two additional courses at the Universidad Veritas, during the quarter program. Upon completion of the intensive Spanish course, students will begin an 8-week internship. The internship will require a minimum commitment of 4-6 hours per day, five days a week. Students will balance the internship hours with their ongoing courses.
- The internship completed must be in the area of the student’s academic specialty or major. A professor at Universidad Veritas, who guides the student through the completion of a major project, supervises each intern. At the conclusion of the internship experience, students present their projects for final assessment and grading. Each U.S. semester credit offered for the internship requires a minimum of 45 hours of work within the local business, non-governmental or non-profit organization, or government agency.
Early Start or Extended Quarter Programs:
- Students wishing to complete an intensive month of Spanish prior to the start of the standard quarter are encouraged to select the early-start option. During the first month, students will concentrate solely on the improvement of their language skills. The internship placement will begin at the start of the second month and will last for either two or three months, depending upon the placement and the number of credit hours desired.
- In addition to the internship and intensive Spanish course, early-start students will complete one or two courses at the Universidad Veritas in a wide variety of academic subjects.
- Setting Description:
- Located in the central valley of Costa Rica, San José is a vibrant urban center in the heart of a serene and beautiful nation. Three volcanoes surround the city, and quaint villages, farms and coffee plantations dot the hillsides. Though the metropolitan area is home to 36% of the nation’s population, one can easily explore the smaller central area of the city and discover its neighborhood markets and local restaurants. Cultural opportunities including theater, music, cinema and dance are also abundant in San José. Visit the Museo Nacional; the Museo de Oro Precolombino, with its sparkling collection of pre-Columbian gold; or the Museo de Jade, which boasts the world’s largest collection of jade.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors Open to advanced and superior-level Spanish speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.