- Heredia, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
The Instituto San Joaquín de Flores affords students the ability to take courses taught by Costa Rican faculty from local universities. All coursework has been specifically designed for American students with the goal of maximizing their linguistic and cultural exposure. The location of the Instituto takes advantage of the beautiful natural environment, with picturesque views of distant mountains and volcanoes. Small class sizes and attentive professors, combined with the incredible beauty and tranquility of the grounds of the Instituto, create an unparalleled environment for learning. Transcripts for courses completed at the Instituto are issued by U.S.-accredited Fairfield University.
The Instituto San Joaquín de Flores offers students an opportunity to take classes alongside other visiting American students in a small-town setting that provides unique opportunities for integration with Costa Rican locals. As a participant in the Spanish Language and Environmental Studies Program, students will perfect their Spanish language skills while completing additional elective courses in English or Spanish. Students must have completed a minimum of two semesters of Spanish at the college level prior to enrolling in the program.
Students will complete an intermediate or advanced level Spanish course. Students are free to select among electives offered in Spanish and English at ISDF .
Students at the advanced level of Spanish are welcome to combine some electives in English with courses offered in Spanish from the Spanish Language and Latin American Studies Program at ISDF. Each course is equivalent to 3 U.S. semester credits.
- Setting Description:
- San Joaquín de Flores is a charming, colorful and quaint colonial town located ten miles from San José. It is surrounded by the unparalleled beauty of Costa Rica. The small setting and slower pace of life allow for exceptional opportunities for linguistic and cultural integration. Leisurely strolls through the streets lead to encounters with friendly people, young and old. Everything can be reached on foot and along the way students can visit historic landmarks and buildings from the 18th century. It is easy to explore the Costa Rican flora and fauna outside of San Joaquín de Flores. Costa Rica boasts thirteen national parks and six biological preserves where an amazing number of species of plants, animals, birds and butterflies can be observed. API students have the opportunity to explore volcanoes, beaches, rain and cloud forests. Explore endless opportunities and discover the culture, beauty and history of San Joaquín de Flores and Costa Rica.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A. Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors Open to students with a minimum of one year of college-level Spanish or the equivalent
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program