- Heredia, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
The Instituto San Joaquín de Flores affords students in both semester and summer programs the ability to take courses taught by Costa Rican faculty from local universities. All coursework has been specifically designed for American students with the goal of maximizing their linguistic and cultural exposure. The location of the Instituto takes advantage of the beautiful natural environment, with picturesque views of distant mountains and volcanoes. Small class sizes and attentive professors, combined with the incredible beauty and tranquility of the grounds of the Instituto, create an unparalleled environment for learning. Transcripts for courses completed at the Instituto are issued by U.S.-accredited Fairfield University.
Designed for American students, the study abroad program in San Joaquín de Flores program at the Instituto San Joaquín de Flores offers advanced and superior level Spanish language courses along with a variety of electives including arts, literature, cultural studies, sociology, and environmental studies taught in Spanish. Students will have the opportunity to interact with “ticos” (as Costa Ricans refer to themselves) outside of the classroom by participating in community service opportunities and cultural activities.
All students enroll in 4-6 classes per semester. All students are highly encouraged to enroll in a Spanish language class. Each student’s language level is determined by a Spanish placement exam administered upon arrival by the Instituto San Joaquín de Flores.
- Advanced-level students who seek active involvement with local community members in San Joaquín are encouraged to select the Advanced Spanish Conversation course. As part of the course, students complete 20 or more hours of community service at local schools, libraries or retirement homes.
- Setting Description:
- San Joaquín de Flores is a charming, colorful and quaint colonial town located ten miles from San José. It is surrounded by the unparalleled beauty of Costa Rica. The small setting and slower pace of life allow for exceptional opportunities for linguistic and cultural integration. Leisurely strolls through the streets lead to encounters with friendly people, young and old. Everything can be reached on foot and along the way students can visit historic landmarks and buildings from the 18th century. It is easy to explore the Costa Rican flora and fauna outside of San Joaquín de Flores. Costa Rica boasts thirteen national parks and six biological preserves where an amazing number of species of plants, animals, birds and butterflies can be observed. API students have the opportunity to explore volcanoes, beaches, rain and cloud forests. Explore endless opportunities and discover the culture, beauty and history of San Joaquín de Flores and Costa Rica.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A. Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors Open to advanced and superior-level Spanish students
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program