- Heredia, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
The Instituto San Joaquín de Flores affords students in both semester and summer programs the ability to take courses taught by Costa Rican faculty from local universities. All coursework has been specifically designed for American students with the goal of maximizing their linguistic and cultural exposure. The location of the Instituto takes advantage of the beautiful natural environment, with picturesque views of distant mountains and volcanoes. Small class sizes and attentive professors, combined with the incredible beauty and tranquility of the grounds of the Instituto, create an unparalleled environment for learning. Transcripts for courses completed at the Instituto are issued by U.S.-accredited Fairfield University.
The Spanish for Medical Professions Program is specifically designed for pre-med and nursing students. All students should have completed a minimum of two semesters of college-level Spanish or more to be prepared for the program.
Students in this study abroad program will complete two courses and earn a total of six semester credits. The core course, entitled “Communication for Medical Professions,” is designed to help students to communicate more effectively with Spanish speakers requiring medical attention and to learn how cultural norms can influence interactions between medical professionals and their patients. Students will extensively study the Costa Rican healthcare system. In addition to the core course, students will complete a standard advanced Spanish grammar course. Students who have already completed advanced grammar courses at their home university are welcome to select a culture course from the Intensive Language and Culture Program. Students are advised, however, that the “Communication for Medical Professions” course is very time-intensive and culture course options may be limited due to scheduling conflicts.
- Setting Description:
- San Joaquín de Flores is a charming, colorful and quaint colonial town located ten miles from San José. It is surrounded by the unparalleled beauty of Costa Rica. The small setting and slower pace of life allow for exceptional opportunities for linguistic and cultural integration. Leisurely strolls through the streets lead to encounters with friendly people, young and old. Everything can be reached on foot and along the way students can visit historic landmarks and buildings from the 18th century. It is easy to explore the Costa Rican flora and fauna outside of San Joaquín de Flores. Costa Rica boasts thirteen national parks and six biological preserves where an amazing number of species of plants, animals, birds and butterflies can be observed. API students have the opportunity to explore volcanoes, beaches, rain and cloud forests. Explore endless opportunities and discover the culture, beauty and history of San Joaquín de Flores and Costa Rica.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A. Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors Open to students with four (4) semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program