Students who participate in this program will live with host families. This is an intensive language and culture program open to all grade levels with college intermediate and above Spanish skills.
- Heredia, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
- This summer program at the Instituto San Joaquín de Flores focuses on intensive language and culture for students at the intermediate level of Spanish and higher. Students complete up to two classes for a total of 6 semester credits per session. Each student’s language level is determined via a placement exam administered upon arrival by the Instituto San Joaquín de Flores. ASVO VOLUNTEER PROGRAM San Joaquín de Flores students may choose to serve as volunteers and gain valuable work experience by participating in the ASVO volunteer program. Pre-Departure Services: Advising, @api Online Resources, Orientation Materials and Support, Peer Mentors, Social Networking, Scholarships On-Site Services: Airport Reception, Resident Directors and Staff, Housing (including meals and laundry with host families), Tuition, Tutoring, Language and Culture Tools, Medical and Life Insurance, Excursions (overnight and international), Social and Cultural Activities, Welcome and Farewell Group Meals, Volunteer Opportunities Re-Entry Services: Re-Entry Materials and Support, Post-Program Evaluation, Transcript, Alumni Network and Development Opportunities
- Setting Description:
- San Joaquín de Flores is a charming, colorful and quaint colonial town located ten miles from San José. It is surrounded by the unparalleled beauty of Costa Rica. The small setting and slower pace of life allow for exceptional opportunities for linguistic and cultural integration. Leisurely strolls through the streets lead to encounters with friendly people, young and old. Everything can be reached on foot and along the way students can visit historic landmarks and buildings from the 18th century. It is easy to explore the Costa Rican flora and fauna outside of San Joaquín de Flores. Costa Rica boasts thirteen national parks and six biological preserves where an amazing number of species of plants, animals, birds and butterflies can be observed. API students have the opportunity to explore volcanoes, beaches, rain and cloud forests. Explore endless opportunities and discover the culture, beauty and history of San Joaquín de Flores and Costa Rica.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A. Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors Open to intermediate, advanced, and superior-level Spanish speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program