- Heredia, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
The Instituto San Joaquín de Flores affords students in both semester and summer programs the ability to take courses taught by Costa Rican faculty from local universities. All coursework has been specifically designed for American students with the goal of maximizing their linguistic and cultural exposure. The location of the Instituto takes advantage of the beautiful natural environment, with picturesque views of distant mountains and volcanoes. Small class sizes and attentive professors, combined with the incredible beauty and tranquility of the grounds of the Instituto, create an unparalleled environment for learning. Transcripts for courses completed at the Instituto are issued by U.S.-accredited Fairfield University.
This summer program at the Instituto San Joaquín de Flores focuses on intensive language and culture for students at the intermediate level of Spanish and higher. Students complete up to two classes for a total of 6 semester credits per session. Each student’s language level is determined via a placement exam administered upon arrival by the Instituto San Joaquín de Flores.
- Intermediate level students will complete two, three-week intensive Spanish courses
- Each course meets for three hours each day, five days per week
- Advanced level students compelte two courses, each equivalent to 3 semester credits
- Students may choose from advanced-level grammar and conversation courses, as well as elective courses in a variety of other subject areas, including cultural studies, film, history, literature, music, and tropical ecology
- Setting Description:
- San Joaquín de Flores is a charming, colorful and quaint colonial town located ten miles from San José. It is surrounded by the unparalleled beauty of Costa Rica. The small setting and slower pace of life allow for exceptional opportunities for linguistic and cultural integration. Leisurely strolls through the streets lead to encounters with friendly people, young and old. Everything can be reached on foot and along the way students can visit historic landmarks and buildings from the 18th century. It is easy to explore the Costa Rican flora and fauna outside of San Joaquín de Flores. Costa Rica boasts thirteen national parks and six biological preserves where an amazing number of species of plants, animals, birds and butterflies can be observed. API students have the opportunity to explore volcanoes, beaches, rain and cloud forests. Explore endless opportunities and discover the culture, beauty and history of San Joaquín de Flores and Costa Rica.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A. Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors Open to intermediate, advanced, and superior-level Spanish speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program