- Salamanca, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
The University of Salamanca, founded in 1218, is the oldest university in Spain. Acknowledged by Pope Alexander IV to be one of the four great universities in the world, it stands in the company of the universities of Bologna, Oxford, and Paris. In 1492, King Ferdinand sought advice from University of Salamanca leaders regarding the exploration venture of Christopher Columbus. One enters the University through the Patio de las Escuelas. It features the faces of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabel, and the walls are marked with the legacy of students, who, upon graduation, have written their initials in an ink of bull’s blood, olive oil, and herbs. Legend has it that there is a frog hidden in the sandstone carvings, and if one finds it, it brings good luck! Inside is the Escuelas Menores building, which houses the department for visiting students.
This is a concentrated language and culture program for students at all levels that focuses on grammar, conversation, and Spanish culture. Beginning level students focus on developing their oral and written proficiency, and intermediate, advanced and superior level students choose from a wide selection of Spanish culture course options.
- Setting Description:
- Salamanca is considered one of the most spectacular Renaissance cities in Europe. It is located in central Spain, amidst a landscape strewn with battlefields and castles, in an area where the kingdoms of Castilla and Aragón first unified Spain. From these roots, “Castellano,” or “Spanish,” became dominant throughout Spain. Salamanca’s Plaza Mayor is said to be the most beautiful plaza in Spain. Throughout the centuries, the sandstone buildings have gained an exquisite golden glow that has given Salamanca the nickname “la Ciudad Dorada” – the Golden City. The breathtaking Catedral Vieja and Catedral Nueva rise above the city, overlooking the river Tormes and the Roman Bridge. The Casa de las Conchas is a stunning edifice of shells carved into golden sandstone. One experiences the history of this magical city when roaming the streets and walking through the archways of the old quarter.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. *Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors *Open to all levels of Spanish speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Based on 1 Reviews
- The best way to see Spain11/30/12
I absolutely loved this program. We had numerous opportunities to travel within the program and also outside of it. There were also a number of activities we got to partake in on top of the resources of the university. The two program directors in Salamanca
are both fantastic and are really there to help you.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend