Student interns will be expected to teach conversational English for 2-3 hours a week in a junior high or high school classroom. Upon completion of the teaching internship, students will earn 3 U.S. semester credits.
- Paris, France
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Work Types:
- Education, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
- Students in the Language and Culture Studies Program select a combination of French language and cultural electives, referred to as French Civilization courses. The number of credits earned for each language course and the cultural electives varies according to the particular session a student selects. Additionally, in some sessions the French Civilization electives are available only to students at the advanced level of French or higher. A student’s French level is based on a placement exam administered upon arrival by the Sorbonne. OPTIONS FOR BEGINNING AND INTERMEDIATE LEVEL STUDENTS Beginning and intermediate level students selecting the fall quarter program complete 8 credits of language and 1 credit of phonetics instruction for a total of 9 semester credits. No French civilization courses are available for fall QUARTER students at these language levels. Beginning and intermediate level students selecting a semester or academic year program complete 8 credits of language, 1 credit of phonetics instruction, and 4-6 credits of French civilization topics for a total of 13-15 semester credits per semester. OPTIONS FOR ADVANCED LEVEL STUDENTS Advanced level students selecting the quarter program complete one 8-credit language course, one 1-credit phonetics course, and 2 credits of French civilization courses for a total of 11 semester credits. Advanced level students selecting a semester or academic year program complete one 8-credit language course and one 1-credit phonetics course, and 4-6 credits of French civilization courses for a total of 13-15 semester credits. Students at this language level have the option of earning an additional three credits each semester if they choose to complete an elective course taught exclusively for API students (see next page for offerings). A limited number of teaching internships are also available for intermediate to superior level students. An additional fee is charged for participation in the 3-credit internship. EARLY START OPTIONS Fall semester or academic year students who wish to refresh their French skills before starting the standard class session may choose to participate in the fall or year early start programs, which include an intensive month of study in September for an additional 50 contact hours (3 semester credits) of French language and phonetics instruction. For more information on the breakdown of Sorbonne credits per level and term, see the chart below. Pre-Departure Services: Advising, @api Online Resources, Orientation Materials and Support, Mobile Phone, Peer Mentors, Social Networking, Scholarships On-Site Services: Airport Reception, Resident Directors and Staff, API Center, Housing (including meals and laundry with host families), Tuition, Tutoring, Language and Culture Tools, Medical and Life Insurance, Excursions, Social and Cultural Activities, Welcome and Farewell Group Meals, Volunteer Opportunities Re-Entry Services: Re-Entry Materials and Support, Post-Program Evaluation, Transcript, Alumni Network and Development Opportunities
- Setting Description:
- Paris is well known as one of the most intellectual and intriguing cities in the world. The city maintains its status as the premier city in France and a leader in politics, art and fashion; every section of the city has its own unique charm and makes Paris a city like no other. For the history lover, the tour should begin in the heart of old Paris, the Ile de la Cité, which lies in the middle of the Seine River. Here one can explore the Cathédrale de Notre-Dame de Paris, the Palais de Justice and a hidden jewel, Sainte Chapelle. For the art lover, the city holds countless museums, all boasting incredible collections. Some of the most popular include the Louvre, Musée d’Orsay, Musée Rodin and Centre Georges Pompidou. Tucked away in the city’s twenty arrondissements, or districts, are many more amazing sights and sounds waiting to be discovered.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors Open to students with four (4) semesters of college level French (equivalent to the intermediate level) or more
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program