This program is designed for students at all levels of Spanish who want to study abroad in Madrid, and focuses on Spanish grammar, conversation, and culture.
- Madrid, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
- This program is designed for students at all levels of Spanish who want to study abroad in Madrid, and focuses on Spanish grammar, conversation, and culture. The program operates on a quarter schedule and offers between 120 and 180 contact hours per quarter term (depending on language level and options chosen). Students who are on a semester schedule and wish to maintain full-time status may choose to take 180 contact hours per quarter term (12 semester credits). Each student’s Spanish level is determined by a placement exam administered upon arrival by the University Complutense of Madrid. Academic year students must take a placement exam each semester. Students will complete one of 3 tracks per term in this program (tracks are differentiated based on the student’s language level and academic goals). In all tracks, students may also choose to add additional hours or combine two quarter terms for additional credit. Students who combine terms will receive a 5% discount on the subsequent term(s). TRACK 1 – INTENSIVE LANGUAGE This track is open to students at all levels who are interested in improving their Spanish language skills. Students will take 120 contact hours of Spanish language, and may add on additional hours (up to 180 contact hours total) for an additional fee. TRACK 2 – SPANISH LANGUAGE AND CULTURE This track is open to intermediate and advanced-level students (levels B1- B2) who are interested in improving their Spanish language skills while taking additional hours of culture and content courses. Students will take 120 hours of Spanish language, as well as an additional 65 hours of cultural electives (for 185 contact hours per term). TRACK 3 – HISPANIC STUDIES This track is open to advanced and superior-level students (level B2 and higher) who are interested in taking more in-depth Spanish cultural courses. Students may choose to take either 3 or 4 culture courses (to earn 135-180 contact hours per term). Students are not required to take a Spanish language course at this level. Pre-Departure Services: Advising, @api Online Resources, Orientation Materials and Support, Mobile Phone, Peer Mentors, Social Networking, Scholarships On-Site Services: Airport Reception, Resident Directors and Staff, API Center, Housing (including meals and laundry with host families), Tuition, Tutoring, Language and Culture Tools, Medical and Life Insurance, Excursions (overnight and international), Social and Cultural Activities, Welcome and Farewell Group Meals, Volunteer Opportunities Re-Entry Services: Re-Entry Materials and Support, Post-Program Evaluation, Transcript, Alumni Network and Development Opportunities
- Setting Description:
- Spain’s capital since 1561, Madrid is the contemporary capital of Spanish culture, finance, and industry. A large, international and cosmopolitan city, Madrid is a city of possibilities. It boasts incredible monuments and museums, including the Museo del Prado, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum and the Museo de la Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando. Visitors cannot miss the Iglesia de San Isidro, once the cathedral of Madrid, or the Palacio Real. Madrid is also known for its fountains and elaborate parks, including the glorious Parque del Retiro. The energy of Madrid is in its street life and warm people. To study in Madrid is to experience more than a classroom – it is to experience the history of Spain and its people. API gives students the chance to live and learn in this fast-paced capital city.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. *Open to students of all levels
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program