- Granada, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
The University of Granada was chartered and given official Papal ratification by Clemente VII in 1531. Through its almost 500 years of existence, it has become one of the major intellectual centers in southern Spain. The University’s Modern Language Center, the Centro de Lenguas Modernas, is housed in what was once an orphanage built in the 1700s. It was completely restored in 1992 and is located in the heart of Granada, in the “Realejo” district. The 1:10 ratio of students to general population renders the entire city abuzz with university activity. Strategically located near mountains and the ocean, there is always something for a student to do in and around Granada. API students who study in Granada can live in and learn from one of the most culturally fascinating cities in all of Spain.
This program has a joint focus on language and culture, allowing the student to develop and improve his/her linguistic skills while enjoying an introduction to the major topics of Spanish culture. In addition to the Spanish language class, classes are available in Spanish history, Spanish literature, history of Spanish art, Islamic culture, and more.
- Setting Description:
- Granada, overlooked by the Sierra Nevada Mountains, is a mixture of natural beauty and inviting climate, Moorish art and architecture, and cultural flare gleaned from its strong Gypsy heritage. The Moors dominated the area for centuries and their influence lives on in the lifestyles and architecture of the region. Granada hosts the Albaicín, one of Spain’s best preserved Arab settlements, the last Moorish neighborhood, and an area UNESCO declared a monument to humanity. Across from the Albaicín is the mesmerizing red-clay Alhambra palace, the greatest Moorish monument in Spain. Within the Alhambra are several palaces, numerous patios and halls, as well as parks, fountains, towers and gardens. Among the other attractions in Granada are the Capilla Real, the Hospital Real, the Basílica de San Juan de Dios, the Monasterio de San Jerónimo and the Caves of Sacromonte. Come explore Granada with API!
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.5 G.P.A. *Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors *Open to intermediate, advanced, and superior-level Spanish speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program