- Granada, Spain
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Work Types:
- Arts & Architecture, Business, Education, Religion, Sciences & Environment, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
Granada, overlooked by the Sierra Nevada Mountains, is a mixture of natural beauty and inviting climate, Moorish art and architecture, and cultural flare gleaned from its strong Gypsy heritage. The Moors dominated the area for centuries and their influence lives on in the lifestyles and architecture of the region. Granada hosts the Albaicín, one of Spain’s best preserved Arab settlements, the last Moorish neighborhood, and an area UNESCO declared a monument to humanity. Across from the Albaicín is the mesmerizing red-clay Alhambra palace, the greatest Moorish monument in Spain. Within the Alhambra are several palaces, numerous patios and halls, as well as parks, fountains, towers and gardens. Among the other attractions in Granada are the Capilla Real, the Hospital Real, the Basílica de San Juan de Dios, the Monasterio de San Jerónimo and the Caves of Sacromonte. Come explore Granada with API!
This program is ideal for students who would like to improve their writing skills and knowledge of upper-level grammar, while also taking culture courses in addition to their language studies. The program offers culture classes in both English and in Spanish. All students take a Spanish language placement exam upon arrival and are placed into the appropriate language level based on the results of this exam. Students may choose to take some classes in English. In order to take electives taught in Spanish, students must place into the high intermediate or low advanced level. Internships are also available in this program.
- Setting Description:
- The University of Granada was chartered and given official Papal ratification by Clemente VII in 1531. Through its almost 500 years of existence, it has become one of the major intellectual centers in southern Spain. The University’s Modern Language Center, the Centro de Lenguas Modernas, is housed in what was once an orphanage built in the 1700s. It was completely restored in 1992 and is located in the heart of Granada, in the “Realejo” district. The 1:10 ratio of students to general population renders the entire city abuzz with university activity. Strategically located near mountains and the ocean, there is always something for a student to do in and around Granada. API students who study in Granada can live in and learn from one of the most culturally fascinating cities in all of Spain.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. *Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors *Open to all levels of Spanish speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program