- Granada, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
The Universidad de Granada was chartered and given official Papal ratification by Clemente VII in 1531. Through its almost 500 years of existence, it has become one of the major intellectual centers in southern Spain. The University’s Modern Language Center, the Centro de Lenguas Modernas, is housed in what was once an orphanage built in the 1700s. It was completely restored in 1992 and is located in the heart of Granada, in the “Realejo” district. The 1:10 ratio of students to general population renders the entire city abuzz with university activity. Strategically located near mountains and the ocean, there is always something for a student to do in and around Granada. API students who study abroad in Granada can live in and learn from one of the most culturally fascinating cities in all of Spain.
Designed for students who wish to study abroad in Granada to acquire a deeper knowledge of Spanish language and culture, the Hispanic Studies program allows students to take an advanced Spanish language course along with several elective courses in Spanish. Students must have completed a minimum of five semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent. Students testing below the high advanced level are transferred to the Language and Culture program and can choose from the courses listed for that program. Academic Year students who do not place high enough for the Hispanic Studies Program during the fall semester may switch to the Spanish Language and Culture Program for the fall and then move into the Hispanic Studies Program for the spring semester. Elective courses are conducted at an upper-division (300-400) level.
- Setting Description:
- Granada, overlooked by the Sierra Nevada Mountains, is a mixture of natural beauty and inviting climate, Moorish art and architecture, and cultural flare gleaned from its strong Gypsy heritage. The Moors dominated the area for centuries and their influence lives on in the lifestyles and architecture of the region. Granada hosts the Albaicín, one of Spain’s best preserved Arab settlements, the last Moorish neighborhood, and an area UNESCO declared a monument to humanity. Across from the Albaicín is the mesmerizing red-clay Alhambra palace, the greatest Moorish monument in Spain. Within the Alhambra are several palaces, numerous patios and halls, as well as parks, fountains, towers and gardens. Among the other attractions in Granada are the Capilla Real, the Hospital Real, the Basílica de San Juan de Dios, the Monasterio de San Jerónimo and the Caves of Sacromonte. Come explore Granada with API!
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.5 G.P.A. *Open to high advanced and superior level Spanish speakers *Completed API application
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program