API students who want to study abroad in Florence may choose from over 400 courses at Lorenzo de’ Medici – The Italian International Institute – Florence (LdM).
- Florence, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
- API students at Lorenzo de’ Medici – The Italian International Institute – Florence (LdM) may participate in one of the following academic programs: FREE ELECTIVE PROGRAM 15-16 CREDIT HOURS PER SEMESTER (3-4 CREDITS IN LANGUAGE; 12 CREDITS IN ELECTIVES) This program is designed for students interested in selecting courses from a wide variety of disciplines with less emphasis on Italian language. Students are required to complete one Italian language course and choose three to four additional courses from the course listings. SIX-HOUR ITALIAN PROGRAM 15 CREDIT HOURS PER SEMESTER (6 CREDITS IN LANGUAGE; 9 CREDITS IN ELECTIVES) This program is designed for students interested in taking more Italian language along with their electives. Students complete one 6-credit language course and three additional courses from the course listings. SUPER-INTENSIVE ITALIAN PROGRAM 16 CREDIT HOURS PER SEMESTER SESSION (ALL CREDITS IN LANGUAGE; NO ELECTIVES ALLOWED) This program has been designed specifi cally for those students whose personal interest and/or academic priority is to learn Italian. Emphasis is placed on developing and/or broadening each student’s speaking, reading, writing and listening comprehension skills. Students enrolling in the Super-Intensive Italian Program are not allowed to add elective courses. Students are required to attend weekly seminars and guided city tours. CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS 15-18 CREDIT HOURS PER SEMESTER These programs are offered on a year-long basis, starting in the fall semester. Beginning students must enroll in the first semester of the first year course sequence. The Certificate Programs offered by LdM are designed to offer students, through a structured plan of study, the opportunity to develop their individual creativity, artistic talent and technical and professional skills. These programs are one or two years in duration and involve a set curriculum for each specific discipline. The Certificate Programs provide specific skills in a range of areas giving students a strong theoretical base on which to develop their practical work. There are two study options: the Certificate and the Professional or Advanced Certificate Programs. Students can combine both options or choose between them according to their experience and educational levels. All courses, except Italian language, are conducted in English. Certificate program dates and prices are generally the same as the regular LdM Florence programs. An $800 additional fee is charged for any certificate programs that involve 18 U.S. credits per semester or more. More information is provided for each specific certificate program post-acceptance. INTERNATIONAL CONFLICT TRANSFORMATION CERTIFICATE PROGRAM The Certificate Program, subtitled “Preventing, Managing, and Resolving Conflicts,” is comprised of five core courses and one language course. These courses, leading to a Certificate of Completion, are offered in collaboration between LdM Florence, in conjunction with the University of Florence Department of Peace Studies, and The National Conflict Resolution Center (NCRC) based in San Diego. ARTISTIC PROFESSIONAL/ADVANCED STUDY CERTIFICATES These programs are designed for students who have a solid background in one of the following areas: fashion design, fashion marketing and merchandising, graphic design and visual communication, interior design, jewelry art and design, or restoration and conservation. During the course of one year, students have the opportunity to broaden their formative experience by participating in artistic projects, guided by instructors who are critically acclaimed professionals. The Restoration and Conservation program offers practical field work in conjunction with the Ministry of Cultural Heritage, thus allowing students to actively participate in the restoration of authentic artwork. Other Professional/Advanced Certificates give students the opportunity to work individually and in a group setting on professional projects guided by industry insiders. Students applying for the Professional/Advanced Certificate Programs must provide evidence of their background in the selected area. An admissions committee reviews the application and accepts only those students who meet the entry requirements. Pre-Departure Services: Advising, @api Online Resources, Orientation Materials and Support, Mobile Phone, Peer Mentors, Social Networking, Scholarships On-Site Services: Airport Reception, Resident Directors and Staff, API Center, Housing (including meals and laundry with host families), Tuition, Tutoring, Language and Culture Tools, Medical and Life Insurance, Excursions (overnight and international), Social and Cultural Activities, Welcome and Farewell Group Meals, Volunteer Opportunities Re-Entry Services: Re-Entry Materials and Support, Post-Program Evaluation, Transcript, Alumni Network and Development Opportunities
- Setting Description:
- Florence, located in the renowned region of Tuscany, is situated on the banks of the Arno River, surrounded by the rolling hills of the Italian countryside. To study and live in Florence is to walk the streets of Dante, Brunelleschi, Giotto and many other contributors to the arts and humanities. Here students can soak up the culture and history of this great city while learning Italian and studying in buildings from centuries past. Established in the 9th century BC, Florence is perhaps best known as one of the birthplaces of the Italian Renaissance at the end of the 14th Century. It is a city that welcomes visitors, scholars, artists and students to walk her streets, relive past discoveries in the arts and sciences, and glimpse the rich history that permeates every inch of the city. Students in Florence experience the city with others from around the world who share a passion for learning.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.80 G.P.A. *Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors *Open to all levels of Italian speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program