- Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Heriot-Watt University dates back to 1821 and was a pioneer in equal opportunities in education. It has a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research. They are a vibrant and forward-looking university, known for their ties to industry and potential employers and are one of the top UK universities for business and industry. The friendly and welcoming campus is set on a beautiful estate of parkland just 20 minutes from the center of Edinburgh. Transport links into Edinburgh are easy and frequent. There are excellent facilities on campus, including fantastic sports amenities, and the centre of Edinburgh offers outstanding social, cultural and leisure opportunities. Heriot-Watt is often referred to as Scotland’s International University, as one in three students come from outside the UK. The Textile Department is situated in a converted mill in Galashields and is the oldest college of textiles in Europe.
Students who choose to study abroad in Edinburgh with API will enroll in courses with Scottish and other international students at Heriot-Watt University – one of the leading academic institutions in Scotland. Heriot-Watt specializes in a variety of science and engineering subjects, but is also a leader in subjects such as brewing and distilling, business and design.
- Setting Description:
- The dramatic and romantic appeal of Edinburgh is endless, set atop its volcanic crags with medieval cobble-stoned streets, a majestic castle and a skyline of turrets, domes and spires. It is easy to see where the inspiration for Harry Potter came from! The elegant Georgian facades of the New Town are a contrast to the winding, twisting alleys and hidden courtyards of the medieval Old Town. Edinburgh, Scotland’s capital city, is not just a historic city, it is also forward looking, seat of the Scottish Parliament and boasting a vibrant cultural scene of live music, performing arts, galleries and museums and plenty of buzz. It is a great place for students, who make up 20% of the population and is home to one of the largest arts festivals in the world. Overlooked by the extinct volcano of Arthur’s Seat, sitting in the open parkland of Holyrood Park, Edinburgh is one of the greenest cities in the UK.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- *3.0 G.P.A. *Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.