- Dunedin, New Zealand
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
API students in Dunedin will have the opportunity to study at New Zealand’s oldest university – the University of Otago. The University of Otago has been rated by international students as one of the top universities in New Zealand in terms of quality of learning, living, support, and student services. API students will study alongside “Kiwis” and other international students. There are also opportunities for fieldwork and research in the areas of marine and geological sciences. For more information on these options, contact the API office.
Courses in New Zealand are commonly referred to as “papers.” Introductory papers are called 100-level papers; subsequent years or semesters are considered 200- and 300-level papers. 400-level papers are considered at the graduate level. Most papers are single-semester and are worth 18 points (credits). 54-72 points per semester can be regarded as an average course load. Students will enroll in 3-4 papers per semester depending on each paper’s point value for approximately 12-16 U.S. semester credits.
- Setting Description:
- Dunedin (population 120,000), is the second-largest city on New Zealand’s South Island. Dunedin and the surrounding area are widely known as an eco-tourism destination, and a great jumping-off point for outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, skiing, trekking, and kayaking. The city is very easy to navigate for pedestrians, and its lively central shopping district is within walking distance of campus. Come study abroad with API in Dunedin and see why this city is a favorite for Kiwi students!
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- *3.0 G.P.A. *Open to sophomores, juniors and seniors
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Based on 1 Reviews
- An adventurer's dream come true04/02/20
My experience studying abroad is one for the books. Dunedin is a great location for high adventure activities especially for students interested in outdoor recreation. The University of Otago offers a wide array of student organizations and clubs that
will surely help you find people who share the same interests as you. For me, my experience was phenomenal because of my flatmates. There was never a dull moment with my flatmates. We were a diverse group (5 international students and a kiwi host) living in a university operated flat. My courses were challenging yet fun. My Maori Society class was one of my favorites because it gave me an insight to the Maori culture. Additionally, the course was taught bi-weekly with a tutorial session which dives deeper into topics taught weekly. I decided to study with API because of their stress-free application process, later application deadline, and excursions. One particular excursion that I enjoyed was the Speights Brewery tour. This tour was really interesting as this is one of the things Dunedin is known for. I also enjoyed our welcome dinner with our resident director. My resident director was my one-stop resource for anything I want to know about my host city and university. It was really nice to have someone who I can always talk to if I ever needed help. Overall, I enjoyed my experience at the University of Otago and studying with API is definitely the way to go! Thank you API!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend