- Caen, France
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Founded in 1432, the Université de Caen, Basse-Normandie is one of Europe’s oldest academic institutions, and is located in the center of Caen. It is a multi-disciplinary university, welcomes 24,000 students each year and offers at more than one hundred different programs.
The Carré International (International Square or Center) is located in the heart of the city, on the main campus, and offers programs throughout the year which are designed to support French language acquisition – from introduction to the strengthening of linguistic skills. The Carré International offers 5 levels of training, from complete beginner to advanced level, sixty instructors, more than 2,000 students each year, a multi-lingustic multimedia resources center, self-service languages labs, multimedia classrooms and a one-stop office designed to give a better welcome to foreign students who chose to study abroad in Caen.
This program is designed to help students who wish to study abroad in Caen improve their written and spoken French (via grammar, vocabulary and language activities), as well as increase the students’ knowledge of various areas of French culture and civilization. All students will take courses at the Departement Formations en Langues (DFL) at the Université de Caen, Basse-Normandie that specializes in French language instruction. All classes at the DFL are taught in French. Level of French study is based on a placement exam administered before classes begin by the DFL.
- Setting Description:
- Caen is located in the heart of Normandy: a few miles from the coast, the landing beaches, the bustling resort of Deauville and Cabourg, Norman Switzerland or Pays d’Auge and two hours northwest of Paris. As the city of William the Conqueror and as a key site of the Battle of Normandy in the Second World War, Caen is well known for its history. The city has preserved the memory by erecting a memorial of peace: the Caen Memorial Museum. Normandy offers picturesque villages, green pastures, a warm welcome and it is the ideal spot for water-sports, hiking, horse riding and all open-air activities. With a population of 115,000, there is something for you in Caen whether your interest lies in history, art, architecture, gastronomy and sport or just enjoying the countryside.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Development Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 2.5 G.P.A. Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Open to all levels of French speakers.
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250-$1,000 per student.