- Bilbao, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
As the city of Bilbao gained increasing recognition for its education opportunities, the University of Bilbao was renamed as the University of the Basque Country in 1980. The newly inaugurated university combined university programs from across the Basque region. API arts students study at the Facultad de Bellas Artes (Department of Fine Arts) of the university. While studying in the heart of one of Europe’s fastest growing art scenes, students have the opportunity to learn and create alongside art students from across Europe. Not only do students challenge their own abilities, but they are also inspired by visiting the spectacular works of art created by some of history’s greatest artists as well as the cutting-edge artists of today.
Designed for art majors/minors, this program offers a dynamic opportunity to practice and participate in studio arts classes with students from Spain, as well as students from across Europe and the world. Students are required to have taken two semesters of college level Spanish. Some courses of study may require a higher working knowledge of Spanish. Students attend classes at the Facultad de Bellas Artes (Department of Fine Arts) at the Universidad del País Vasco, Campus de Leioa (the University of the Basque Country, Leioa Campus). Due to the hands-on nature of the studio courses, there is minimal time spent in a lecture setting. Most classes are taught in Spanish (Castilian). Some courses are taught in Basque and students are discouraged from taking those classes. API strongly encourages students to take classes with professors who speak some English, and we will provide guidelines post-acceptance. Most courses are equivalent to 3-6 semester credits each, though the amount of credit depends on the course.
- Setting Description:
- From its quiet beginnings as a seaside fishing and trading port in the 14th century, to its rise as a leader in Spain’s industrial revolution, Bilbao has long demonstrated its ability to renew itself. Today, Bilbao is at the heart of Basque education, business, culture and fine art. Whether students are studying Spanish or creating art, they are immersed in the energy of this artistically rich city. The new symbol of Bilbao is the Guggenheim Museum, which was designed by architect Frank Gehry. Students can visit the Casco Viejo (the old quarter), filled with shops and restaurants, and also explore the newer side of Bilbao, with its modern architecture. Bilbao is also home to the Cathedral of Santiago, the Basilíca de Begoña, the Museu Vasco and the Museo de Bellas Artes. These sites and many more await API students who choose to explore one of Spain’s most fascinating cities.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.5 G.P.A. *This program is for studio art majors or minors *Open to intermediate, advanced, and superior-level Spanish speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program