- Bilbao, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
This program is designed for S.T.E.M. majors and minors who want to complete courses in their major while studying abroad in Bilbao, Spain. Students choose their courses from a mix of S.T.E.M., international business, and Spanish language and culture offerings. Each student’s Spanish level is based on a placement exam administered upon arrival by the University of Deusto. Students can take up to 15 credits per semester and can add additional courses, internships, or a praticum for an extra fee.
DEUSTO TANDEM PROGRAM - API students at Deusto have the exciting opportunity to participate in the Tandem Program, which facilitates intercultural exchange by matching full-time Spanish students with recently arrived study abroad students. It is a program with mutual benefits! The local Spanish students are eager to spend time with their API conversation partner and show them around Bilbao, and the API students are encouraged to integrate with local students and learn more about Spanish life, both inside and out of the university setting.
TRANSCRIPTS - API students will receive a transcript from the Universidad de Deusto upon completion of their program.
- Setting Description:
- From its quiet beginnings as a seaside fishing and trading port in the 14th century, to its rise as a leader in Spain’s industrial revolution, Bilbao has long demonstrated its ability to renew itself. Today, Bilbao is at the heart of Basque education, business, culture and fine art. Whether students are studying Spanish or creating art, they are immersed in the energy of this artistically rich city. The new symbol of Bilbao is the Guggenheim Museum, which was designed by architect Frank Gehry. Students can visit the Casco Viejo (the old quarter), filled with shops and restaurants, and also explore the newer side of Bilbao, with its modern architecture. Bilbao is also home to the Cathedral of Santiago, the Basilíca de Begoña, the Museu Vasco and the Museo de Bellas Artes. These sites and many more await API students who choose to explore one of Spain’s most fascinating cities.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- *2.75 G.P.A. *Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors *Open to all levels of Spanish speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $450,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.