- Berlin, Germany
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
A city once divided, Berlin lies at the heart of Germany – literally and figuratively. While it is the second most populous city in Europe (metropolitan area notwithstanding), it maintains a more tranquil feel than other large cities, as 1/3 of the city is composed of forests, gardens, and parks. Berlin is not only the political capital of Germany, but arguably one of Europe’s capitals of art, culture, and politics. Designated a UNESCO “City of Design”, it possesses amazing architecture, cuisine, museums, and music and is a favored destination for young travelers and students. Berlin is also home to some of the top universities in Germany and all of Europe, including API’s partners at Freie Universität Berlin and Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.
The Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST) was specifically created by one of Germany’s top universities to offer North American and international students cultural and business courses focusing on Germany and its role in Europe. What is unique about this program is that it is primarily offered in English, and on the North American calendar (as opposed to many other German universities which operate on a different academic calendar). All students are required to take a German language course, and may opt for a regular (3-4 credit) or intensive (6-8) credit option. They then select 2-3 culture options to round out their academic schedule. In addition to being one of Germany’s and Europe’s top universities, the FU-BEST program meets the FORUM on Education Abroad’s standards of excellence. FU-BEST is a fantastic option for students looking to experience the sights and sounds of Berlin, and still receive high-quality instruction in their native language. Advanced German speakers are offered the opportunity to enroll in the GermanPLUS+ track which includes two German language and three subject courses, all taught in German.
Pre-Departure Services: Advising, @api Online Resources, Orientation Materials and Support, Mobile Phone, Peer Mentors, Social Networking, Scholarships On-Site Services: Airport Reception, Resident Directors and Staff, Housing (including meals and laundry with host families), Tuition, Tutoring, Language and Culture Tools, Medical and Life Insurance, Excursions (overnight and international), Transit Pass, Social and Cultural Activities, Welcome and Farewell Group Meals, Volunteer Opportunities Re-Entry Services: Re-Entry Materials and Support, Post-Program Evaluation, Transcript, Alumni Network and Development Opportunities
- Setting Description:
- The FU-BEST (Berlin European Studies Program) was created by Freie Universität Berlin with the needs of American and international students in mind. Courses are generally taught in English, and students are required to take a German language course. Freie Universität Berlin is one of the top ranked universities in Germany, and is considered among the top 75 in the world.
- Program fee includes pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- Participants must be junior or senior undergraduate students and carry a 3.0 GPA (lower GPAs are considered on a case-by-case basis). This program is open to all levels of German speakers. This program is open to 2nd semester sophomores and up.
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program