- Barcelona, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
The Universitat de Barcelona was established in 1450 and is the oldest and largest university in Barcelona. Students complete Spanish language and culture courses alongside other American, Erasmus (European) and international students in the university’s Department of Hispanic Studies.
This program is intended for students who want to study intensive Spanish language in an immersion setting. Level of language study is based on a placement exam administered upon arrival by the University of Barcelona Summer students have a language and culture course (for 90 contact hours). The culture portion of the language course (30 contact hours) focuses on key aspects related to Spanish History, Art and Literature in its periods of greatest splendor and character (Middle Ages, Siglo de Oro, Art and Culture in the 20th century). Visits to some of the major cultural sites in Barcelona are part of the course.
- Setting Description:
- Barcelona is a city of contradictions: old and new intertwined, beautiful and industrial, traditional and avant-garde. Bordered by France to the north and the Mediterranean Sea to the east, Barcelona is one of the most ‘European’ of Spanish cities. Stroll Las Ramblas, one of the city’s most famous and busy boulevards and weave through the medieval streets of the Gothic Quarter (Barri Gòtic). Enjoy the unique and colorful architecture of Barcelona’s most famed architect, Antoni Gaudí. Barcelona is a very cosmopolitan city that combines the latest trends with the most typical Spanish traditions. Barcelona offers museums, cinemas, restaurants, clubs, bars, the beach and the mountains, and people from all over the world. Although Spaniards from Barcelona speak both Spanish and Catalán, the mixture of local residents and international visitors makes it an easy city to understand and make yourself understood.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 2.5 G.P.A. *Open to freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors *Open to all levels of Spanish speakers
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program