- Barcelona, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
This program is designed for students who want study abroad in Barcelona to learn more about Catalan art, culture, and identity. The courses provide students with tools to set the frame for a broader perspective on the Spanish and European cultures, political systems, and society, and allow them acquire a deep understanding of the Spanish political institutions and recent history. Barcelona is an ideal location to host such a program thanks to its landscape, which allows for the symbiosis among cosmopolitanism, cultural diversity and site as the Catalonian capital. Bilingualism, integration and migration are only some of the topics that students analyze in class and beyond, as they soak up Barcelona’s vibrant city life.
In addition to the course-related activities, all participants in the program take part in activities and field studies that are a substantial part of the program. These cover prominent aspects of the summer program topics. Field studies and co-curricular activities may include: opening ceremony and opening lecture; evening tour: the political scenarios of Barcelona: City Hall and Generalitat; visit to the Catalan Parliament and debate with Parliamentarians; a course integrated overnight study tour to “The Catalan No-Borders: Historical Ties with The Pays Catalan”; closing ceremony and concert. These co-curricular activities and excursions are led by experts, and include lectures given by faculty from either UPF or the universities hosting the visits. The Spanish language course is available for all levels, but it is only required for those students who plan on taking all of their courses in Spanish. Students who plan on taking their courses in Spanish must have a minimum of 4 semesters of college-level Spanish experience.
- Setting Description:
- Barcelona is a city of contradictions: old and new intertwined, beautiful and industrial, traditional and avant-garde. Bordered by France to the north and the Mediterranean Sea to the east, Barcelona is one of the most ‘European’ of Spanish cities. Stroll Las Ramblas, one of the city’s most famous and busy boulevards and weave through the medieval streets of the Gothic Quarter (Barri Gòtic). Enjoy the daring, unique and colorful architecture of Barcelona’s most famed architect, Antoni Gaudí. Barcelona is a very cosmopolitan city that combines the latest trends with the most typical Spanish traditions. Barcelona offers museums, cinemas, restaurants, clubs, bars, the beach and the mountains, and people from all over the world. Although Spaniards from Barcelona speak both Spanish and Catalán, the mixture of local residents and international visitors makes it an easy city to understand and make yourself understood.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- *Minimum 3.0 G.P.A. *Open to rising juniors and seniors *Open to students with one previous semester of college-level Spanish (or the equivalent)
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $450,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program