The Spanish Language and Latin American Studies Program is designed for students who want to improve their Spanish language skills, learn about Chilean and Latin American culture, and participate in service learning projects in the local community.
- Vina Del Mar, Chile
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Gap Year
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
- Gap students in Chile are required to take the following two courses: Spanish Language and Culture – Conducted in Spanish Outreach V: Service Learning In addition to the above courses, gap students will choose 2-3 elective courses (taught in English or Spanish). As this is a service-learning course, students are asked to dedicate at least four hours per week to the foundation that the Universidad Viña del Mar has agreed to partner with for the given semester. Pre-Departure Services: Advising, Pre-departure Orientation, Mobile Phone, Social Networking, Scholarship Opportunities; On-Site Services: On-site Staff, On-site Orientation, Housing, Meals & Laundry, Tuition, Tutoring, Community Involvement and Volunteer Opportunities, Medical and Life Insurance, Overnight Excursions and Day Trips, Social, Recreational and Cultural Activities; Post-Program Services: Post-Program Evaluation, Alumni Network, Transcript Services.
- Setting Description:
- Built on the land of two former estates, the city of Viña del Mar began in the late 1800s and has grown to become a popular destination for Chileans, Argentines and other tourists from around the world. Often called the “Garden City”, it was once known primarily for its beautiful beaches. Viña del Mar is also known as a university town. It is a safe and relaxed city where visiting students can study Chilean language and culture.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 2.75 G.P.A. Open to high school graduates ages 18 and up. No previous Spanish language study required.
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student