Spend a unique and exciting fall semester in Australia! Australia boasts a laid-back, diverse culture unlike anything else you’ll experience—while still having enough familiarity that you could feel right at home. You could study at world-renowned Australian universities. A fall semester in Australia could also be a great opportunity to explore what Australia has to offer outside the classroom. Are you an active outdoors type who wants to explore the beautiful natural resources? Maybe you prefer the arts, culture, and culinary scene of city life. Either way, spending your fall semester studying abroad in Australia could take your undergraduate years to the next level.
If you’re looking for a way to make your fall semester incredible, studying in Australia might be the answer. The land down under is diverse in more ways than one—on top of being a cultural melting pot, Australia has a diverse climate and ecosystem, as well as a variety of unique cities. Still not sold? Keep reading for a few more reasons to spend your fall semester in Australia.
- Great Academics – Despite having a relatively small population compared to its physical size, Australia boasts a variety of well-respected universities. More than forty of them, in fact! What does that mean for you? It means you could get that international travel experience you’ve been waiting for, without compromising on the quality or relevance of your education.
- It’s in English – Australia might have some truly unique local slang, but you probably won’t have to worry about attending classes in another language! Of course, that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to learn one. With the diverse culture and population in Australia, not to mention solid university programs, you may be able to learn about indigenous languages, sign languages, as well as a variety of Asian and Western options depending on the course offerings in your program.
- The Outdoor Adventures - Studying abroad doesn’t just take place in the classroom! If you’re the outdoors type, Australia could be a great match for your interests. From snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef, surfing on the Gold Coast, hiking the outback, and even exploring the rainforest, your fall semester in Australia could be the adventure of a lifetime. That goes double for you if you’re studying a subject related to conservation or biology—in which case you could take your studies out of the textbook and into real life.
- The Vibrant Cities – More of an urbanite? Australia has you covered! In fact, most Australians live in or around urban areas, making it likely that you’ll spend at least part of your fall semester in one of Australia’s beautiful cities. Whether you’re in Perth, Sydney, or somewhere else, you could take your education out of the classroom. Explore beautiful art and history museums, take in cultural events, visit cultural and architectural landmarks, and more. Plus, there’s a ton to do when you’re not busy studying. In a walkable urban community with access to public transportation, you could maximize your time exploring Australia during your fall semester!
- Escape the Cold – It may seem trivial, but one advantage of spending your fall semester in Australia? The weather! That’s because in Australia, what the northern hemisphere might consider autumn is actually spring, making it a great time to study and travel in friendly weather.
How to Choose your Fall Academic Session in Australia
Spending your fall semester in Australia, the potential opportunities to learn and experience something new might seem limitless. In fact, there might be more to do than you have time for! To make the most of your months abroad, make sure you choose a study abroad program that emphasizes your biggest priorities! Whether you’re focused on finding a program to support your academic major, or want to build up some life experience through travel and exploration, focusing on your priorities could be a great way to narrow down your options.
If you’ve already declared a major, you may want to focus on programs and locations relevant to your subject area. For example, if you study something like ecology, conservation, or biology, you might prefer to study in programs with access to Australia’s unique ecosystem. That could mean studying the Great Barrier Reef, exploring the unique plant and wildlife in the rainforest, or even the wildlife living in the Australian desert. What if your subject area is a little more cosmopolitan? Whether you’re focused on the arts, business, culinary arts, education, or something else entirely, you may find that Australian city life has a ton to offer you and your studies. Whatever you’re studying, you might identify a certain locale or university program suited to your needs and interests.
For those of you who haven’t selected a major, or who aren’t prioritizing this in your search, all of this still applies, with one caveat—follow your passions! Australia is a great place to learn something new, what. By focusing on your natural curiosity, you could make your fall semester unforgettable, and position yourself not only to learn a ton in the academic sense, but also about yourself.
What is a Semester in Australia?
One important thing to remember when selecting your program study abroad in Australia is that there may be some key differences in your academic year and session dates. The specific number of weeks per semester is likely to vary between universities. A Fall Semester or academic session in particular may have a few key differences. Specifically, what you might know as a fall semester in the United States may actually reflect the spring semester in Australia, whereas a fall session in Australia typically starts in March.
Find Your Fall Semester Study Abroad in Australia Program
Ready to find a great program and study abroad in Australia? StudyAbroad.com can help you find great programs to spend your fall semester in Australia. If you have a more specific idea of what you want—for example, studying a certain subject or in a specific city—select the appropriate filters using the menu. Then start reading up on your potential fall academic session in Australia programs. Once you’ve identified a few that sound interesting, click on the program names to read more or to reach out for more information!