- Toledo, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, MayMester Intersession, Spring Semester, Summer
- Program Description:
Head back in time in Toledo, a charming Medieval walled city. Strengthen your language skills, choose from a variety of program courses, immerse yourself in an internship, and take various excursions throughout Spain. Wander cobblestone streets to discover historical attractions and sit atop the highest hill for commanding views of the city.
This program is offered in collaboration with the prestigious José Ortega-Marañón Foundation and the University of Minnesota. Based at the San Juan de la Penitencia residence, a converted 16th-Century convent, the program offers modern learning facilities surrounded by spectacular views of the city, and easy access to the downtown area and public transit. In addition to the opportunity to improve Spanish language ability, the program offers a wide range of courses in the humanities, social sciences, and arts. Located just an hour from Madrid, Toledo is an excellent base from which to explore Spain.
Choose to live either in San Juan de la Penitencia Residence or with a Spanish host family.
Four 1-day excursions (three in summer) are included in the cost of the semester program to provide you with cultural and historic perspectives of Spain. Visit such sites as Madrid, Aranjuez, Cuenca, the grand El Escorial, Segovia, and the Route of Don Quixote.
- Setting Description:
- Live and study in the walled city of Toledo, home for more than 2,000 years to a succession of Roman, Jewish, Visigoth, Moorish and Christian civilizations. Declared a World Heritage Site, Toledo is a living museum, a preserved part of Spanish history where people still live, work and play. A city of approximately 80,000, Toledo offers an environment where you can be immersed in Spanish culture through coursework, internships and daily life.
Additional Program Information
- 2.5 GPA; freshmen and above; minimum four semesters college-level Spanish; American degree-seeking students
- Scholarships Description:
- The Learning Abroad Center’s Study Abroad Scholarship provides awards for non-University of Minnesota undergraduate students going on eligible Learning Abroad Center credit-bearing programs.