- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
While you're learning the Dutch language and studying in your new school, you'll be making friends with your classmates and exploring the beautiful Netherlands. Your Dutch host family will help you to adjust to your new home and they'll also introduce you to Dutch culture, delicious food and entertaining festivals. As you explore the Netherlands, you'll find beautiful landscapes, outgoing people, and exciting architecture.
Home to one of the best educational systems in the world, the Dutch schools allow you to choose a "profile," which consists of a number of compulsory subjects and a number of electives. Most exchange students are placed in a Culture and Society profile, taking classes in languages, history, mathematics, bookkeeping, art and philosophy. Worried about starting in a new school? Many teachers are willing to give extra help after class, and some schools may assign a classmate to be your "study buddy."
Youth For Understanding USA’s (YFU) high school study abroad program is an experience that will immerse you in the lives, language, cultures, and communities of a real family in one of more than 40 countries around the globe. YFU is a homestay experience where you live with a carefully selected host family who has agreed to open their home and their hearts to you—providing room, board and a caring home. You’ll gain a global family, make new friends and even attend a new school on academic programs.
YFU programs make a lasting, life-changing impact on young people. YFU students return as young adults—more independent, competent and confident—with a deeper understanding of their family and country. They also discover that the YFU experience opens doors for many years to come, enhancing educational and professional opportunities. National and regional scholarships are available - please visit our website for details.
- Setting Description:
- During your time in the Netherlands, your hospitable host family will guide and support you as you explore their marvelous culture – their arts, customs, traditions, and foods! Your appetite will definitely be satisfied with the country’s delicious cuisine, which consists of a variety of food such as fresh fruit, fish, and vegetables. You may also have the opportunity to savor country specialties, such as Uitsmijter spek en kaas (which is made of eggs, bacon, and cheese). On special occasions, you will undoubtedly indulge your sweet tooth and devour Oliebollen (a special Dutch pastry) and Appeltaart (the Dutch version of apple pie). If neither of those sound like your taste, don’t worry! There are plenty more mouth-watering dishes available to you in the Netherlands. The Netherlands educational system ranks 9th in the world (according to the Programme for International Student Assessment), so the country will undoubtedly meet your academic requirements.
- Program costs vary depending on the length of the program - please see our website for full details.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Through the generosity of numerous corporations, governments, foundations and individuals, YFU awards more than $2.3 million in partial or full study abroad scholarships annually.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program