- Brussels, Belgium
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Academic Year, Fall Semester
- Program Description:
Study abroad with YFU in either French or Dutch speaking Belgium. Students in the French-speaking areas will have the opportunity to practice their French in an immersive environment as well as learn about the uniquely Belgian dialect and culture. The educational system is divided between a state system and a private, mostly Catholic system, both of which are free. Most YFU students will be enrolled in General Secondary Education, though a technical or vocational education tract is available.
Students participating in the Dutch-speaking area have the opportunity to take general education or specialized, intensive classes in Visual Arts, Music, Performing Arts, Fashion, Sports, and Tourism. We encourage those applying to the specialized programs to apply early. Please visit the YFU website to learn more.
Students in both areas will stay with a host family, who will introduce them to the local culture and help them adapt.
Youth For Understanding USA's (YFU) high school study abroad program is an experience that will immerse you in the lives, language, cultures, and communities of a real family in one of more than 40 countries around the globe. YFU is homestay experience where you live with a carefully selected host family who has agreed to open their home and their hearts to you---providing room, board, and a caring home. You'll gain a global family, make new friends and even attend a new school on academic programs. Two years of French language study is required for French-speaking Belgium.
YFU programs make a lasting, life-changing impact on young people. YFU students return as young adults---more independent, competent and confident--with a deeper understanding of their family and country. They also discover that the YFU experience opens doors for many years to come, enhancing educational and professional opportunities.
- Setting Description:
- The meeting point for a number of international organizations including NATO and the European Union, Belgium is host to visitors and residents from around the world. A multilingual country, students have a choice of programs in either French or Dutch speaking parts of the country. While visiting the birthplace of Audrey Hepburn and the Smurfs, donï¿½t forget to taste the delicious chocolate and other treats Belgium has to offer.
- Program costs vary by length of program - please see our website for full details.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Through the generosity of numerous corporations, governments, foundations and individuals, YFU awards more than $2.3 million in partial or full study abroad scholarships annually.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program