- Prague, Czech Republic
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
Study for a semester or school year in a Czech high school and learn the local language. While you're in the Czech Republic with YFU, you'll have the opportunity to learn about Czech culture and daily life from your classmates and host family. There are opportunities to explore some of the Czech Republic's most iconic cities, and to go skiing with study abroad students in Slovakia. Students are generally placed in an academic high school called a Gymnazium, which offers subjects such as math, biology, history, languages, and literature. Classes typically last 45 minutes with 30 lessons per week.
Students in the Czech Republic have the opportunity to study music or dance (ballroom, polka, etc) in an intensive environment. On the music program, students attend a traditional academic high school and go to afternoon education at a basic school of art. Please visit the YFU USA website to learn more.
Youth For Understanding USA’s (YFU) high school study abroad program is an experience that will immerse you in the lives, language, cultures, and communities of a real family in one of more than 40 countries around the globe. YFU is a homestay experience where you live with a carefully selected host family who has agreed to open their home and their hearts to you—providing room, board and a caring home. You’ll gain a global family, make new friends and even attend a new school on academic programs.
YFU programs make a lasting, life-changing impact on young people. YFU students return as young adults—more independent, competent and confident—with a deeper understanding of their family and country. They also discover that the YFU experience opens doors for many years to come, enhancing educational and professional opportunities.
- Setting Description:
- Families in the Czech Republic are very close, and will welcome you with open arms. It’s not uncommon for extended families to get together and enjoy meals or outdoor activities. Many Czech families enjoy having country cottages, and gardening or doing outdoor sports when they visit. You can take part too, with cross country skiing, hockey, soccer and hiking! With beautiful trails to explore, you may want to try your hand at mushroom picking, a typical Czech past-time! Of course, Czech culture is not all about sports. There are tons of things to do in Czech towns! Many people listen to music, and there are many famous Czech composers – you’re sure to find people enjoying music as they sit in a café, talking and laughing! People also enjoy theatre, and there are tons of small venues that will put on plays. In the spring, Prague hosts a month – long arts festival. People come from all over the world to experience the arts scene that Prague has to offer. When you go to the Czech Republic,
- Program cost varies by length of the program - please see our website for full details.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Through the generosity of numerous corporations, governments, foundations and individuals, YFU awards more than $2.3 million in partial or full study abroad scholarships annually.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program