Learn organic farming principles and practices while immersing your self in Indian culture! WWOOF India is in the process of establishing its Global Village Learning Centre just outside of Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh. This centre will serve as a headquart
- Dehra Dun, India
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, MayMester Intersession, Rolling Starts, Spring Break, Spring Semester, Summer, Winter Semester, Year Round
- Work Types:
- Business, Sciences & Environment, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
- Over 150 host farms across 16 Indian states! Experience India by living and working among local organic farmers - volunteer and academic programs available.
The Aims of WWOOF are:
-To give first hand experience of organic or other ecologically-sound growing methods
-To give experience of life in the countryside
-To help the organic movement which is labour intensive and does not rely on artificial fertilisers, herbicides or pesticides
-To give people a chance to meet, talk, learn and exchange views with others in the organic movement
-To provide an opportunity to learn about life in the host country by living, and working together
Willing Workers on Organic Farms (WWOOF) volunteers (‘WWOOFers’) are offered food, accommodation and opportunities to learn in exchange for assistance with farming or gardening activities. The duration of the visit can range widely. Workdays average 5–6 hours and participants get to meet and interact with fellow WWOOFers from all over the world.
WWOOF India has been growing steadily in India. From just a few hosts in the starting now it has more than 150 Hosts including many NGOs , in coming years we hope to see more and more people becoming involved in this unique concept of Eco-activism.
Mr Harish Tewari is an Agricultural Micro-Biologist who have a vast experience of working in more than 10 countries in Europe, Africa and Asia at various projects related to Organic Agriculture, Water Management and Livelihood improvement etc. These projects in were funded by SIDA, World Bank, IFAD, Department of Bio-Technology (Govt of India) etc and Mr K.R Pandey has worked as Establishment Officer of G.B.Pant Agriculture University, Uttarakhand a leading Agriculture University in Asia
The other part time consultants associated within WWOOF India Organics Pvt Ltd have a wide range of disciplines and experience with the ability to provide farmer, growers, processors, packers and retailers with quality and cost effective advice and technical support right across the food chain on a national and international basis.
Learn organic farming principles and practices while immersing your self in Indian culture! WWOOF India is in the process of establishing its Global Village Learning Centre just outside of Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh. This centre will serve as a headquarters for organic farmers in the area and host organic farming workshops for farmers and students of agriculture from all over the world. WWOOF India is in need of volunteers at the Global Village to help with construction, painting/decoration and on-site farming activities. We are also offering internship opportunities through which WWOOF India accredited agricultural consultants (holding Master's degree minimum) mentor student research projects during a structured stay that combines WWOOF farm work with academic study.
You will return from your WWOOFing experience with a first-hand and personal experience of a very particular local culture as well as the realities concerning obstacles and opportunities faced by organic farmers in India. Having been a partner in the process, you will have improved individual and group problem solving skills. This will bring added depth and creativity to a lll of your future work, especially if it is in the area of agriculture or sustainable development where you will be able to repeatedly cite examples from your WWOOFing experience.
- Setting Description:
- You may volunteer or do intern research at any of our over 160 WWOOF farms throughout India, staying with Indian families and learning the culture of that particular locality. The WWOOF India Global Village is located in a rural area about 13 km from the World Heritage Site of Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh. This 9th-10th century temple complex and its masterful art instantly captures the imagination! Raneh waterfalls area hiking, Panna National Forest and the Chandella rulers' (the builders of the Khajuraho temple complex) fort town of Rajnagar are all close by.
- Costs: Volunteers pay for their own travel to and from India as well as in-country travel to reach work site(s). Interns pay a small fee to cover stay and food during non-volunter time as well as an instruction fee for internship advisor/mentors.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program