- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
Programming is a true twenty-first century skill, allowing you to really explore the wonderful – and crucial – world of data and computers. Aimed at beginners and near-beginners, this course teaches you basic principles of programming through hands-on exercises using real-world examples. It backs up this practical experience with a solid grounding in the logical thinking and structural approach to problem-solving which are second nature to the proficient programmer.
We use the programming language Python. Developed by Guido van Rossum in Amsterdam in the 1990s, this is widely used, easy to learn, accessible, available for many operating systems and possesses a large standard library of system functions. Moreover, we will be tailoring the exact content of the course to your progress. Bearing this in mind, topics we intend to cover include:
- Introduction to Python and its installation (Anaconda).
- The Python shell: print, operator, types, variables.
- Lists and loops.
- Functions, scope, import.
- File I/O (input/output), dictionaries, string manipulation.
The course culminates with an assignment using real-world data, so that by the end of it you have developed, written and presented a program of your own!
- Setting Description:
- With over 180 unique nationalities, Amsterdam is a melting pot of cultures and embraces different cultures, religions, and lifestyles. 165 canals criss-cross the entire city, giving it its nickname ‘Venice of the North.’ The city also features more bikes than inhabitants! With a bustling creative industry, Amsterdam offers plenty of cultural activities and events throughout the year. In Amsterdam you can benefit from the advantages of a big city with enough quiet spots to kick back and relax.
- 1150 EUR. The tuition fee includes: • Airport pick-up service • Welcome goodie bag • Orientation programme • Course excursions • On-site support • Emergency assistance • Transcript of records after completion of the course
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- The VU Amsterdam Summer School offers ten scholarships that cover the full tuition and housing fees of one course. Information about how to apply for the scholarship will be posted on the VU Amsterdam Summer School website.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program