- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
In this course students learn to collect location-specific information on crime and disorder, input that data into a geographic information system (GIS), and use the system to look for crime patterns. Taught by expert lecturers from the Netherlands Institute for the Study of Crime and Law Enforcement (NSCR) and VU University Amsterdam, this course combines lectures on the theoretical underpinnings of environmental criminology with practical fieldwork.
Students gather their own spatial data to answer a specific research question, thus undertaking the entire research cycle, from formulating their own problem and hypotheses to collecting data, analysing it in a GIS framework, and ultimately presenting their findings to fellow students.
- You can formulate research questions and hypotheses regarding the spatial patterning of crime problems - You can collect spatially referenced crime and disorder data - You can use geographic information systems to map and analyse that data - You can acquire knowledge on open-source QGIS software - You can present research findings.
- Setting Description:
- With over 180 unique nationalities, Amsterdam is a melting pot of cultures and embraces different cultures, religions, and lifestyles. 165 canals criss-cross the entire city, giving it its nickname ‘Venice of the North.’ The city also features more bikes than inhabitants! With a bustling creative industry, Amsterdam offers plenty of cultural activities and events throughout the year. In Amsterdam you can benefit from the advantages of a big city with enough quiet spots to kick back and relax.
- €1000 (excluding housing which costs €400 - €500) Included in the tuition fee are: • Airport pick-up service • Orientation programme • Course excursions • On-site support • 24/7 emergency assistance • Transcript of records after completion of the course
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- The VU Amsterdam Summer School offers ten scholarships that cover the full tuition and housing fees of one course. Information about how to apply for the scholarship will be posted on the VU Amsterdam Summer School website.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program